Scanxiety

Hi ladies, 

Feeling really anxious right now as my scan is Tuesday and this will be 1 year post treatment. I've been living in a state of anxiety for a while and trying to work out this new normal every day is hard to bear at times. I've been letting it beat me mentally. My consultant said she would request a scan to 'put my mind at rest' as I believe these days they are not ordering scans unless symptomatic? 

anyway it's next week. Any tips on how to stay sane? 

X

Good luck with your scan locket! Tomorrow is 1 year ago I finished my external radiation and aug 6th will be when I finished all my treatment. I just had a mri last month and a pelvic exam today, I'm still good, besides some bladder wall thickness on my mri, but they said is common from 1 year out from radiation. I have another pelvic exam in October them a pet scan in January. I have no advice for scanxiety, because I get it really bad too, I thought it would get easier with time but unfortunately for me it hasn't, I still get extremely nervous waiting on my results. If you have a Instagram you should check out thecancerpatients page it has really funny and relatable posts, right before my I went in to get my results I spent an hour just looking at all the old post and laughing and it helped a bit. Wishing you well locket!

Oh I feel you. No tips, I turn  in to a complete hypochondriac sobbing mush whenever I have a acan coming up. They do provide regular scans here the first year after treatment, standard, so even without symptoms.( whatever those may be, I feel something new and different every day) we are getting scans here. I understand how you might be suspicious but I did learn one thing and that js that doctors do not sugar coat or hide anything from us. If they think there is something off they will tell you for sure.

I have my first no scan appointment coming up, a pelvic exam and I feel just as anxious about that as I feel about scans. The thought alone makes me feel really nervous. I try to keep busy as much as I can and just try to ignore the whole cancer thing all together. 

Hugs, you are doing amazing 

Hey sweetheart,

im sorry I wish I could help but I think I'm getting more anxious not less, I've been a wreck this time round, had my second scan on the 13th and honestly I've been a complete snappy bitch leading up to and since, I was jumpy every time the phone rang.

maybe the headspace app?! All the mindfulness stuff really helped me during treatment. I was reading a post the other day from a while ago that said something like 'we've been dealt a bad hand but that the positive is we have been reminded how precious life is, no one is guaranteed tomorrow so use the advantage of living for today, find something good everyday and focus on that' they said it so much better, I've made it sound like a fortune cookie message. Sorry.

I really don't want to look back and regret spending my life worrying about dying that I forgot to live so I battle every day to try and ignore the things I cannot control and focus on the things I can. I have also drunk quite a lot of wine. Scan time is a real test of my resolve and I have failed miserably lol 

I really hope that this scan brings you positive news and that it gives you a way forward with much less anxiety, much love to you sweetheart xxx 

P.S hey Marissa and Izzy! Hope you're both keeping well. 
good luck with your upcoming exam Izzy and I'm so pleased you're getting good results Marissa.

stay safe lovely ladies, big hugs xxx 

Thank you for all your lovely messages. 
I just want to get it over and done with. I believe I'm suffering with some form of PTSD. I'm going to call the drs tomorrow. 
X

Thank you for the tip on that Instagram account Rissag, that's just the sort of thing I need! X

Oh lovely, you really may be and It wouldn't be surprising with the hell and back you've been through. I really hope you get some support with this. Much love to you and should you ever need anything I'm always around. big hugs xxx 

I have PTSD as well and was getting EMDR for it, will be starting again soon as my therapist is working again. It really helps. The sessions are really tough but they are helping me cope.