Reoccurring HPV and Cell changes

Hello ! I have a colposcopy tomorrow but am feeling impatient and anxious ! I had my first abnormal smear in 2019 - hpv and low grade changes. 2020 was hpv and high grade changes (colposcopy biopsy confirmed it was actually low grade so nothing treated) 2021 and I got hpv and low grade , biopsy confirmed and was left another year. 2022 hpv but moderate changes, colposcopy tomorrow !! concerns me I’ve had abnormal cells for 4 years - any stories of similar situations ? Thank you xxx

1 Like

Hey! I have my second colposcopy tomorrow too, 6 months after my first one. I’ve had HPV for about 3/4 years I think, and the last colposcopy results were CIN1. So I was relieved. But the closer I’ve come to this appointment the more worried I am! If I still have HPV and I continue to have it, surely the cells will just keep changing and then it’ll be bad?! I’ve got a list of questions to ask tomorrow, including having surgery to remove cervix (I’m 41 and won’t be having anymore children).

Hope tomorrow goes ok for you. I saw my cervix on the screen last time so hope I get to see it again. Update here?

Good luck xxxx

1 Like

Hi Rhiannon81
Good luck for tomorrow,would be great to hear the answers to the questions. I have had HPV positive for 3 years and cgin confirmed last year so I am also wondering if a hysterectomy maybe on the cards xx

1 Like

So, had two biopsies again and a smear. She said it looks ok but who knows ay? Will get the results in 4-6 weeks. I asked her what happens if it’s the same as the previous result and she was quite vague. Just that if the smear is HPV positive again then I’ll have another smear in 12 months? But if it’s negative then I’m discharged from colposcopy and go back to 3-yearly smears. I felt like I couldn’t ask her all that I wanted to about hysterectomy/ removal of cervix because she made me feel like I’m jumping the gun a bit. Which is good. And I feel reassured but also feel like the results will be HPV positive and CIN1/2 again. But I guess even if they are that’s still ok.

2 Likes

Have you had any treatment? What’s your next steps in the process?

Hi all.
I had a smear Jan 2021 with results HPV positive but no abnormal changes. Invited back this Jan (smear last week). Results came back within a week - high risk HPV & high grade severe abnormal changes. Colposcopy on Monday.

I’ve had a Colposcopy before (for a separate issue) but I’ve been beside myself. Words like urgent, high risk, severe are all so unkind.

Has anyone else been in the same boat?

1 Like

The language is so scary, and just anything related to the word cancer.

I saw a really lovely doctor yesterday who explained everything and reassured me it is all precancerous so it’s just great they are monitoring everything so much.

Xxx

Just make sure you have a good chat, take your questions. I feel much better after a clear conversation

It’s hard not to jump the gun and want to know the next steps isn’t it !! Cervical treatment is being avoided if possible with me because I want a second baby. Doctor felt reassuring. Smear said my cells had got worse but he took a biopsy and said it didn’t look to bad so no need to discuss treatment . It’s boring being so ongoing and more worrying. I was a smoker and then i was pregnant so I am hoping my immune system works itself out. Hope you are feeling okay today ?? Thank you for replying , it is nice to feel in it together a bit ! Xxx

1 Like

Good morning!

Had my Colposcopy this morning. The clinician said it was strange that within the space of just 12 months, I went from no abnormal cells to high grade/severe.

He had hoped to do LLETZ procedure today but unfortunately, the cells aren’t just on my cervix, they’re also on my vagina wall. Therefore, I’m having to go in under general anaesthetic for removal. I sobbed at this! I’ve only gone under once but it’s terrifies me.

He took a biopsy which has been sent off. He predicts my pre-cancerous cells are between CIN 2 & 3 (moderate/severe).

I will now wait for results of the biopsy and date for surgery.

He was very reassuring and answered all the questions I had.

I hope this can help someone x

Abnormal 5 yrs lots colposcopy eventual hysterectomy much better now

Hi. I was at my colposcopy appt last week. Im in similar position as yourself. Im waiting results of biopsy after abnormal cells were found on my cervix and vaginal wall. I didnt have the letz as previous and couldnt understand why. As youve mentioned having a possible general, maybe thats why ive to go back for the latest biopsy results? Good luck.x

Hello,

Thought I’d check in here and see how you were doing? I went for my annual smear (Jan 23 had CIN1 and HPV positive - went a bit earlier but I was anxious) and got the result today that it’s negative! Which of course I’m over the moon about but……abnormal bleeding and some pain…… so have a gynae appointment that should come through in next couple of months (was referred in August) so hopefully will get answers then.

So I hope you are well and you can come back to me with some positive news :crossed_fingers:t2:about your situation xx