Referral from GP exam (smear clear)

Hi all I am new to the forum and extremely worried!  Bit of a long story - I was referred for transvaginal ultrasound this time last year due to abnormal bleeding.  This showed a polyp which was removed via hysteroscopy and polpectomy in October.  At the same time as the surgery I had the Mirena IUD fitted - didn’t get on with this (constant bleeding/spotting) so had removed through the GP in March.  The GP noticed my cervix looked lumpy and inflamed.  This was reviewed yesterday (4 weeks post removal) as hoping it was down to the mirena wires but the GP observed no improvement so now I am being referred for a colposcopy on the 2 week pathway!  I am terrified- this has been such an emotional journey and I thought the polyp removal would fix things.. i’m now concerned cervical cancer has been the problem all along!! I guess my question is could transvaginal ultrasound and hysteroscopy completely miss cervical cancer??  I just don’t know who to talk to as think I have worried my family too much already with the polyp (which was initially called a uterine mass as was large and involved scary letters from oncology - but thankfully benign)!  

Hi, sounds similar to my experience at my smear test although didn’t have the other tests and bleeding you have had, but had a lot of watery discharge prior to it and bleeding after smear for days and then after swabs being taken to check for infection. My cervix was red and inflamed and described as ‘angry’ and a Doctor was called to the room to examine me and referred on the 2 week pathway too. My smear results came back normal and I was in a terrible state waiting for my smear results and then colposcopy, my life was on hold. So far so good, at Colposcopy there was a white area and she took 3 biopsy’s but said she would be surprised if they came back as precancerous cells and said no cancer. Still waiting on results from biopsy but she has put my mind at ease, had to switch off as I was making myself ill with worry. I know it’s so difficult not to let your mind run wild, I done it too and convinced myself it was cancer but please try not to, your colposcopy will be here soon. Big hugs xx

Thanks so much for the reply - I’m slightly less nervous now - appointment next Tuesday!  And fingers crossed for your results to be nothing concerning xx