Radiotherapy

Hi have posted a couple of times on this now I was diagnosed cc1b1 about a month ago and was advised id most likely be getting a hysterectomy… Was a major shock as I hoped to have a family… Anyway finally started to come to terms with it and had a pet scan Friday was advised yesterday that I now wont be getting surgery going to have radiation instead as two lymph nodes lit up slightly on the scan they cannot tell if their cancerous from the scan BUT before giving me any results yesterday my doc internally examined me through my back passage… . I had a very bad infection the week of the pet scan which I feel may have affected the results and also yesterday morning woke with a bad pain in my stomach/ backside nearly like I had a big lump near my backside its gone today didnt mention it at consultation as I was very nervous almost numb in the consultation!!! and am annoyed with myself now cause maybe if I mentioned this I could still be getting the hysterectomy…Due for ct scan on monday could my treatment go back to surgery now or will it stay at radiation…is radiation as good as surgery think id always be afraid of it coming back… Thanks for reading

Hi Siom:

I suppose that's why they do all the scans/tests etc to be double sure that you get exactly the right treatment. 

My PET scan tech told me that cancer cells take up the radioactive dye in a different way from surgery/infection fighting cells so that the radiologist can tell what's going on. Having said that I did check with Dr. Google before my PET scan and there was discussion there of false positives. If your radiologist isn't sure what your nodes are doing maybe you could double check with your doc as to why the treatment plan has changed?  The CT scan will give them even more info on Monday and that will help them plan too.

Good luck

Hi Siom :-)

For what it's worth, in my opinion radiotherapy is the better option and I would choose it over surgery given the chance.

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Hi! I'm 1b my mri and ct scans came back ok but with one lymph node over 2cm. My consultant is going to do a biopsy on it first. Which is next Wednesday. If ok then hysterectomy but if not then chemotherapy and radiotherapy. Will your consultant do that for you? X 

Hi 

can I ask as I'm 1b1 (had my MRI on Tuesday will get results next week and then know my treatment plan)

fid you have MRI & CT scan ? What's the difference & why both ?

thanks 

mel 

TThanks everyone for the replies.... Think its the fact I've spent all this time coming to terms with surgery that im now back at square one in my head!!! My consultant isnt the the easiest to talk to he was very adament yesterday that ill be getting radiation I didnt think to ask if a biopsy would be possible.... I asked for a second opinion on the initial treatment and I feel now like i shouldn't keep questioning the decisions that are being made.... Maybe im clutching at straws but I had mentally prepared for surgery plus the fact the hospital is over a two hour round trip the radiation will be tough... The ct scan is next Thursday so maybe the nodes will look different or if not maybe my mind will be put at ease that this is the right option the reason for mri and ct is I had my mri the day after initial diagnosis, only reason im having a ct scan is so they know the markings for radiation ... Really appreciate the replies I don't have many people to talk to about all this its a scary thing to go through if anyone would like to keep in touch that would be nice! 

I just thought that was normal to have both. And honestly have no idea what does what and what shows up what. I'm just going with the flow with all this. Also maybe it depends where you live and what hospitals offer. I'm in hertfordshire and we have a centre of excellence at Northwood. The nurse did say they like to do both on the same day. 

Hi Siom:

I wouldn't worry about asking questions. You're not challenging his opinion, you're asking for clarification of your treatment plan.Once you know why something is recommended it's easier to get your head around it, especially when there's been a change. I'm sure they will put together the best possible treatment plan for you, but it's always nice to know exactly what's happening and why. 

All this stuff is so confusing - the scans, the treatments etc. And who can really pay attention when they're so worried? I wrote a list of questions before I saw my doctor because I knew my mind would go blank and I wrote down the answers too, because I knew I'd forget what she said.

Keep us posted and jump on whenever you feel like having a chat.

I have an appointment with a new doctor again on Thursday to talk about the radiation and also to have a ct scan.... Will definitely ask some questions this time... My original consultant is not the easiest to speak to and last week was on antibiotic and had a pain/pressure in my back passage when he did the internal examination he then decided against surgery...but I honestly dont have that pain now think if it was this week I was being examined id still be a surgery candidate.... Typical