Radical hysterectomy

Results early stage cervical cancer. Booked in to have a radical hysterectomy next Tuesday 23rd, being cut not key hole. The unknown is pretty scary, what is recovery like?

Hi Taybrai,

sorry to hear your news and that you find yourself here. Going for a RH gives you a really high chance of kicking this thing into touch. I had one just over two years ago now but had it done laparoscopically. As you are aware it's a big op and will set you back for about six weeks. During that time you won't be able to lift anything very much, and of course you will feel quite tired as your body will need time to rest. Not exactly sure how long you have to wait before you can drive, but it is at least three weeks. This might mean that you need a bit of help with shopping etc as you won't be able to lift heavy bags. I'm sure there are more detailed accounts from women who have gone through this, as this is such a common operation with cervical cancer. This is a great website with loads of information and lots of support to hand as well. You will probably be in hospital for several days, so come prepared with things to read, listen to etc. Big baggy pants and trousers is a must as you will have a swollen stomach for a while and probably can't tolerate tight things. You will probably be catheterised for a while too, to give your bladder a chance to recover from being moved about a bit.  Try to eat lots of fruit and veg as your bowels also take a bit of a beating, and you can get constipated. However, the hospital will give you stuff for it. Although it's not a walk in the park, you just have to keep reminding yourself that you will be giving yourself the best possible chance of full recovery, and that in two or three months time you will have put it behind you. I do wish you all the best for Tuesday. The worst part for sure is the waiting, so try to keep busy over the weekend and organise as much as you can beforehand. Take care. 

Hi Taybrai Smile

My hysterectomy was abdominal, vertical incision, a little over five years ago now. I won't deny, it's a big op and recovery takes a bit of time. Of course all being well you have had your op now and are finding all of this out for yourself. If you have any post-op questions, do ask, I'm always happy to help Smile

Be lucky Smile
Tivoli

HIya

I had my RH 6 weeks ago today,wasnt nearly as bad as I had imagined. Yes you have to take it easy but I just listened to my body. I walked small amounts every day when I came out of hospital as I was advised, Just to the kitchen and back a few times a day. By week 3 I was driving,week 4 I was back at work. Yes im more tired than normal but nothing to drastic. Ive found the walking has really helped with my recovery also it stops you getting stiff from sitting around so much!

Six weeks on im walking a few miles everyday with the dog,life is back to normal. It is a big op but it is easily managed if you listen to your body.

Lots of luck

I'm now day 4 and still a bit sore any sugesstions for that apart from medications they give u? ( Oh and the medication they give u ahh I hate swallowing tablets )  Also I hate eating as feel a bit sick, know I have to eat but its hard. Please tell me it gets better soon. Maybe going home tomorrow. 

Hiya :-)

It does get better - promise! Have you had a bowel-movement yet? there is a chance that you are feeling a bit sick because your digestive system hasn't kicked in properly since surgery. You can tell when it starts up because usually there is a resounding fart! On my ward there would be an enormous round of applause for each big fart because it signalled the start of the going-home procedure. 

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

I am three weeks post Hysterectomy. I can honestly say the first two weeks were the toughest. Going into week three I am experiencing less pain and I am not sleeping as much. I still tire easily and seem to be sweating a lot.  I have experienced a lot of low grade cramping. Each day I feel stronger. Give your body some time to rest. You just had a major surgery. The more you rest up front the better you heal. Hang in there....it gets better:)