preparing for Radical Hysterectomy

Please help!!
Apart from being scared and apprehensive about my operation next wednesday im clueless on how to make sure i have everything i need? I know i’ll need ready meals books magazines etc but worried im not thinking of important things ?
Also if theres anything i need to know such as when can i walk around? Will i definatly need a cafether to take home? is the pain bearable after painkillers wear off?
Any advice or personal experiences would be so welcome x

(Diagonsed with stage 1b all in one area at top of cervix having overies removed also so hrt needed)

Hi Claire,

I wrote quite a detailed account of my immediate recovery which is on the second page of this section of the forum under 'Recovering from laparoscopic hysterectomy'. It might be useful for you to read.

I was fortunate that my husband was able to take time off work so he was around for four weeks after my surgery and did all the housework and cooking during that time. However, getting about the house was no problem from day one. All my friends were worried about how I would cope with my steep staircase, particularly as my bathroom is downstairs, but stairs were never an issue. I didn't go home with my catheter, but if I had it would have been fine. I was worried about the catheter, but it reality it was actually quite nice not to have to get up to go to the loo!

Pain wise, for me the shoulder pain from the CO2 was by far the worst aspect. Make sure you ask for painkillers while in hospital if you need them. However I came home on only regular ibuprofen and paracetamol and occasional codeine.

Good luck x

Hello

I'm 6 months on from a laparoscopic hysterectomy and the worst bit is the fear and anxiety beforehand.

You will find getting up really hard from a laying position so you'll soon master rolling around on your side. My boyfriend had to help me get out of bed a few times in the first week.

Big pants are handy as they come above the scar line do are more comfortable.

A nightie for the hospital is easier for your check ups plus easier when you need the loo as you don't need to wrestle with your pyjama bottoms

Comfy loose fitting trousers or leggings when your home

A pillow for the car journey home to hold on your belly

Drink plenty of water and eat a good diet that will help you with going to the toilet. This was by far the worst pain for me.

I agree with above you probably won't need the catheter at home but you'll definitely miss it.

Take it so easy and make sure you have help for at least a week preferably two.

Get up and go out for short slow walks every day it really helps.

Mine went really well and the recovery has been good but mainly because I did nothing for at least three weeks. After 12 weeks you can fully exercise and have sex if you wish. Definitely don't rush either of these too.

Good luck x

Hello

I'm 6 months on from a laparoscopic hysterectomy and the worst bit is the fear and anxiety beforehand.

You will find getting up really hard from a laying position so you'll soon master rolling around on your side. My boyfriend had to help me get out of bed a few times in the first week.

Big pants are handy as they come above the scar line do are more comfortable.

A nightie for the hospital is easier for your check ups plus easier when you need the loo as you don't need to wrestle with your pyjama bottoms

Comfy loose fitting trousers or leggings when your home

A pillow for the car journey home to hold on your belly

Drink plenty of water and eat a good diet that will help you with going to the toilet. This was by far the worst pain for me.

I agree with above you probably won't need the catheter at home but you'll definitely miss it.

Take it so easy and make sure you have help for at least a week preferably two.

Get up and go out for short slow walks every day it really helps.

Mine went really well and the recovery has been good but mainly because I did nothing for at least three weeks. After 12 weeks you can fully exercise and have sex if you wish. Definitely don't rush either of these too.

Good luck x

Hiya :-)

Kontikitoo has covered pretty much everything on my standard list but add Peppermint Tea to your list. Apparently it works wonders though I didn't have that information at the time of my surgery and boy did I suffer!

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Yes, that pain from the gas is as bad if not worse than the abdominal pain. But mine came on when I was getting up and using my shoulders to save my abdomen and it felt like I had wrenched My shoulder. Yes, that bad. It seems to have almost gone now I am home or maybe that is a coincidence. They gave me peppermint water and that helped. Everything else I can think of has been covered.  I came home after two days and have dratted catheter for a week.  I have to empty my wee bags myself. It sounds awful but I hVe managed fine. You can wear this under trousers but you will need loose trousers as your belly is sore. My surgeon explained that this is the most dangerous part of the operation as they don't want to cause any damage to the bladder and so they are super careful.   when I left I was so cock a hoop I forgot to ask about the DVT socks and I don't know how long I hVe before I can take them off. When I suggested doing this in hospital they looked  horrified!  ( DVT socks are like flight socks and stop you getting deep vein thrombosis) 

Good luck. The apprehension is the worst. Make sure you are looked after for a good while. 

Becky, I was told to wear my DVT socks until I was back to normal mobility. However knce I was home I didn't wear them much. I was moving around quite a lot and the weather was hot so I was wearing dresses and they are so ugly. When I saw my consultant a week later she didn't mention that I wasn't wearing them. I was also on fragmin (blood thinning) injections for a month. I suppose if I'd been more immobile id have kept them on longer but I was going out for little walks at least twice a day, walking up and down stairs, etc