Radical hysterectomy yesterday!

Hi ladies,
A bit of background, my mum unfortunately died of cervical cancer 6 yrs ago now. She was old school and didn’t attend screenings as she thought they were painful/undignified! But this prompted me to make sure I attended any screenings offered!
I’ve had abnormal cells on my cervix for years but we’ve always had a wait and watch approach.
Unfortunately my last smear in November showed glandular abnormalities in a different part of the cervix, and after biopsies and a cone biopsy I was diagnosed with cervical cancer stage 1b. At the same time I also found out i was pregnant. Unfortunately this lead to a miscarriage. And now I have just undergone a radical hysterectomy. I am so fortunate that I have a lovely husband and a gorgeous 3 year old boy, and feel so lucky my cancer was caught early. I just wanted to share my story and help anyone that has just been diagnosed. And wondered if anyone can advise me on what happens next in the journey?

So sorry to hear you are going through this. I was also diagnosed with stage 1b last year and had a radical hysterectomy in August at the age of 30. I am extremely lucky in that I had my 3 beautiful children young and had completed my family. The best bit of advice I can give you is rest rest rest!!!! Easier said than done with a 3 year old boy in tow.... I know I have one!!! But it is so so important. I didn't rest enough and now 6 months later need further surgery to repair a tear in the scarring of my 'cuff',  unfortunately this has been further complicated by the fact it also looks like my cancer may be back so I am awaiting biopsy results but this is an extremely rare occurrence and there is still a chance that all the damage that they have found has simply been caused by me doing too much post op.  Accept any help you are offered and leave anything that is not essential,  listen to your body it has been through so much. All the best with your recovery xx 

I'm so sorry to hear you're still having to go through all this pain. I hope you feel better soon and you get some answers? 

I'm going to be a good patient! I think the trouble is I had no symptoms and this has been such a whirlwind 6 weeks that it prob hasn't sunk in yet! 

Best  luck x

Hi Laura :-)

As Maelise has says, for the next little while you must take it all r e a l  s l o w. There are no prizes for winning this race, the only prizes are for making a full recovery with no lasting difficulties and the best way to achieve that is to put your feet up, let everyone else do all the lifting and all you do is a bit of gentle walking at 'romantic stroll' pace. Keep it like that for the next six weeks and then you can start to look at doing a bit more.

You will likely have some anxious moments worrying whether the cancer has returned and that is all perfectly normal, but after you have had a handful of follow-up appointments and each is received with an 'all clear' you will find it becomes easier to deal with.

Hi Maelise :-)

Really hoping that things are better than they appear! Keeping everything crossed for you!

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Thanks Tivoli for your advice. I have got to say it's actually been quite nice relaxing today and watching the husband becoming a domesticated goddess! 

I have an appointment on the 9th Feb, so I guess will have more info then! 

Take care x

Hi ladies thank you for your support,  yes just that dreaded waiting game at the minute 6 days to go! Although I had symptoms I had always had perfect smears and never missed one so mine was found during a hysteroscopy for suspected endometriosis so I am with you Laura on the whole whirlwind thing! This time it feels like it is dragging out forever,  i have promised my family that once we get to the bottom of what's happening now and I have my 'repairs'  done I will follow doctors orders better and rest, it's not worth rushing to get better as quick as you can.  Hope all is going well with your recovery Laura x

Please let me know how it goes?

Recovering ok this end! Feeling Bad that I can't get down and play as normal with my little one but will all be worth it long term I know! 

I still have my catheter which is a pain! But I've managed to do that first number 2 and felt so good after I wanted to tell the world!!! Feel very swollen especially down below, wasn't really expecting that? But just keep thinking it could be a lot worse! Xx

I remember it well....the pain but oh the relief ha. I found about day 10-15 I leaked lymph fluid quite heavily, and felt like I had wet myself with every sudden movement. I panicked and rang my nurse but its all perfectly normal so just another thing for you to possibly look forward to I'm afraid!

Had an unexpected phone call from mri department today to say I have to go for an urgent mri on Friday. I guess that means my results are back and it's bad news but I just don't know,  it would have been nice if somebody had told me something so I wasnt quite so surprised. Hopefully the mri report will be back for Tuesdays appointment x

Try not to worry, easy said then done I know! And actually i really hate when people say that!!! But at least they are on the ball and the more scans and results they have the better I guess for Tuesday's appointment? 

Try and keep busy and do things that you love to make the time pass quickly. 

Is the swelling on the private parts normal? I felt like the elephant man down there last night! Seems a bit better this morning? But i am as stiff as a board! Xx 

Hi Laura

How are you getting on? I was quite swollen down there for a while, I think it is quite normal so don't worry!x

Hey!

I'm getting there! Am having my catheter removed hopefully tomorrow! Cannot wait! Feel like it has set me back a bit! Swelling has come right down! 

Im looking forward to seeing my consultant on thurs and finding out what he has to say about it all?

x