Radical hysterectomy, menopause and sex - what to expect?

Hi, I’m due to have a radical hysterectomy soon and have been asked whether I’d like to keep an ovary. I am 40. I have adenocarcinoma so apparently there is a 1-5% chance of metastases in the ovary.

What I really want to know is how the radical hysterectomy might affect me sexually. Are orgasms less intense without the cervix? I hope my vagina won’t feel noticably shorter. I’m concerned that the menopause may cause vaginal dryness and pain during sex. I know that HRT can relieve symptoms but is it an absolute faff? Will my sex life be ruined?! It was great prior to diagnosis!

Many thanks xx

I’m not sure, but definitely interested in any answers as I’m awaiting news as to whether I’ll be having a hysterectomy.

1 Like

Hi @Lemon_Lavender wishing you all the best! I’ve not had any responses yet! Fingers crossed your cancer has been caught early enough for surgery. The general rule of thumb I’ve found is the very earliest stage (1A1) seems to often be treatable with total hysterectomy. I’m stage 1B1, so have to have the radical (would much prefer the total)! Stage 1B2 upward is treated with chemoradiation which can have more significant impact on sex life, I believe! Hope you get positive news that its early stage xxx

Hi Gina - in answer to your question - we don’t know! Every one of us is different to some extent in how we respond to the process of treatment, to surgery, the symptoms we get with the menopause, how much we worry, how we respond to HRT, the psychological impact… You will get some stories where women cope with things fine and go on to have rich lives, and others where they are affected long term in various ways by their treatment. My best advice is that you know yourself, and it’s best to be positive! Don’t imagine your life will be ruined - only that you are going to be cured and ready for the next 40 years! If there’s a problem, work it through. If you’re worried, talk to your team. Sexual desire comes from your brain, not your womb, so there’s no reason why you should not want, and enjoy, sex once you’ve fully healed. Orgasms do not originate in the cervix. Believe, and work towards, being fine - and I wish you a quick recovery and all the joy of life once you’ve completed your treatment! X

3 Likes

Hi Gina

I had a radical hysterectomy June 2020. I kept both my ovaries. I had a reoccurrence to both ovaries and had to have them out anyway (and my stomach opened for a second time).
I didn’t really notice my vagina being shorter.
I used to have a great sex life and it hasn’t been the same since. Although I don’t notice any real difference from keeping my ovaries and not (although I’m on HRT now which is no bother). The main thing is I just don’t have any sexual desire anymore. Nothing hurts I just don’t have any feeling. I can still orgasm not through penetrative sex anymore.
I’m glad to have had a hysterectomy as it gives you a chance to be cancer free but you do sacrifice your sex life for this. Other women may have a different experience

X

1 Like

Hi Jacks133, I just wanted to thank you for responding to my question! It was a while ago and I’m sorry I’ve not replied sooner! I had the radical hysterectomy about a week and a half ago now. I’m on HRT (estrogen patch) and so far, so good! I’m feeling much more hopeful now that my sex life will resume and be ok. Thanks so much and you’re right, everyones experiences are so different. Best wishes to you. Gina x

1 Like

Hi Besty, thanks so much for your reply and I’m sorry I’ve not responded sooner! I’m sorry to hear that you have this lack of sensation. Is it due to nerve damage? In terms of lack of libido, you said you are on HRT, does this include testosterone? Apparently this can help. I’m now a week and a half post radical hysterectomy. I’m on HRT (Estrogen patch). It’s too soon for me to test if there has been nerve damage but I feel hopeful and positive. I can certainly sense it is a lottle sore up there from the stitches, so I think the feeling is still there. I’m so sorry to hear of your experience. Has your surgical team offered any advice or support? Best wishes, Gina x

Morning Gina

How are you feeling a week and a half after your hysterectomy? Bet you are glad to be home from hospital and in your own bed. That was my favourite part, even though I had to climb up 4 flights on stairs to get into my flat.

After I had my ovaries removed and I woke up I was on 25 evorel patches, I knew this wasn’t the correct dose as soon as I got home from hospital I was having hot flushes so stuck another 25 on and stayed on 50 through my chemotherapy. After that I paid private to see a menapause doctor.(I had the details from a girl on here) I’m currently on 75ml Estradot (they are much smaller than evorol), testosterone and I have tablets called vagifem that I stick up my vagina. Don’t quote me on this by I think only from 75ml on with help with osteoporosis in later life (or it maybe 50)
I had my hormones checked recently and I had 13 times more testosterone than I should apparently I have a massive absorption rate (must be the huge thighs haha) I didn’t really notice any ill effects of this though. My other hormones were OK and I don’t have any nerve damage. It’s a mystery why I can’t orgasm during sex anymore, I suppose I’m happy my vagina is ok, I can still have sex and I can still orgasm. I’ll take any positives.
Good luck with your recovery.
If you need the menapause doctors details I can send them over to you

X