Radical hysterectomy, Lymph node involvement & finding a balance

I was staged as a 1A2, LVSI, and grade 3 squamous cell cancer. My radical hysterectomy is scheduled for 2/20. I am really ready for this to be over with. A part of me is actually looking forward to the surgery so I can have my life back. I'm sure many of you have felt the same way. But I am also petrified.

There is a chance of lymph node involvement with my positive LVSI diagnosis. A positive lymph node would mean radiotherapy. A negative diagnosis would mean followup and I would have my life back.

Being on that brink is unnerving. I want to be excited about the possibility of a surgical cure but at the same time I may end up with more treatment and need to prepare myself for that. My challenge now is to find a balance and be okay with it.

How many of you had positive LVSI without lymph node involvement? 

How did you find your balance throughout treatment? Especially on your last treatment. 

Hi Steph,

Have they specified how likely they think positive lymph nodes will be?  Is it a small chance or a big chance? If the chance is high, maybe you might be better just having the chemoradiation like they do for stage 2? 

This did happen to me. I had the radical hysterectomy with 5 affected lymph nodes. So i then had to have radiation and chemotherapy.  I more recently went on to have a second cancer caused by the radiation. I am just raising this because my understanding is that the radiation can be more damaging if you have had a hysterectomy first.  Now I only read that somewhere on Jos and I haven't checked any scientific papers but it may be worth discussing with your team.

If chances are low then go for it! I wish you the best of luck!

Karen x

PS And hysterectomy was 22 years ago so don't let positive nodes scare you too much!

Hi steph ive just had a radical hysterectomy including 16 lymph nodes for stage 1b1 squamous cervical cancer, grade 3 cells. Don't no how long I had it or wether it was missed on a smear as I had clear smear June and diagnosed November due to a referral from bleed during sex. Like u I was worried as knowing grade 3 cells are fast growing and can be aggressive. I had clear results last week meaning no futher treatment and check up in 3 months. I worried about spread especially as I've been having on and off hip/thigh aches and pains in one side since middle of Dec but thankfully results showed no spread to lymph nodes. 

That's wonderful news! I'm so glad you went back to the doctor after the clear smear. A lot of women I know wouldn't have. It's so important to listen to our bodies. 

I just had my RH yesterday and will have to wait a week before pathology knows if I have positive lymph nodes. I'm believing there won't be. 

My oncologist and I had a misunderstanding. She gave me all stage ones rate for positive lymph nodes. For my specific case, she said 7%. Huge sigh of relief. We'll know for certain next Wednesday if additional treatment is needed. Right now I'm recovering from the RH and am going to believe I'm cancer free. 

Brilliant news Steph! Get well soon!

Hello- I am in the same situation as you were in. Do you mind updating if you had clear lymph nodes afterwards? Thank you!!