Radical hysterectomy in lockdown

Hey Amyr17,

I hope you're scan went well.

Thinking of you and sending love,

Xx

Hi Dreamland,

Aww thank you ?

It wasnt too bad, i only have one ovary working (typical!) But that one has managed to grow 23 follicles in the last 10 days which is great!

Ive got egg collection on Friday morning so keeping my fingers crossed they get some good eggs ?

How are you getting on? Any news about your next follow yet? How is the counselling going? 

Xxx

Hi Amyr17,

Sounds like good news, hopefully your egg collection will go well on Friday. Good luck with it?.

I had my letter through today saying my treatment is complete with an appointment to see the consultant next week. So I guess that's when I can ask all my questions and find out about the follow-up. I'm so grateful for the thorough monitoring.

The anxiety is up and down. I have my first counselling session on Friday. Hopefully that will help.

Sending lots of love,

Xx

Hi Amy,

Good luck tomorrow, I'll be thinking of you. I'm so pleased to hear there were so many follicles. 

Dreamland, I hope your counselling session goes the way you need it to lovely.

Sending you both love xx

Thanks Lemon Lavender!

Good luck today Amyr17. I'll be thinking of you.

Xx

Thank you both! ?

I managed to get 3 eggs, i had more but they couldn't get to them because of my tumour. The doctor would have had to go through it which then carries a risk of spreading my cancer.

But 3 is better than none and all 3 were mature so have survived the freezing process, what a relief!

How did the counselling go Dreamland? Hope it has helped a little. 

Lots of love xxx

Dear Amyr17,

This is great news. A big step forward in your treatment.

The counselling was really good. I recommend it. I'm seeing the consultant next week. I think he will go through the follow-up with me so I'll have a chance to ask questions.

Lots of love, xx

Oh I'm so pleased they got three really good eggs Amy. 

And great news re your counselling Dreamland xxx

Thank you both, i was so relieved to get some good news! ?

Thats great Dreamland glad it went well for you. Keep me posted on how you get on with the consultant.

Hope you are keeping well Lemon lavender.

Xxx

Hi Amyr17,

Just popped in to say good luck with your surgery next week.

Lots of love, xx

Hi Dreamland,

Aww thank you ?

Im getting a bit nervous now, just want it over and done with.

Hope your counselling is still going well.

Amy xxx

Thanks Amy,

The counselling has been great, I recommend it. I'll be thinking of you next week and sending love. I imagine nerves are not all your feeling. But it'll be a massively positive step forwards in your treatment. I wish you a speedy recovery.

Lots of love,

Xx

Aww great im glad its going well for you.

Thank you so much, im keeping my fingers crossed that the surgery will get it all sorted for me and hoping for some positive news in a few weeks time ??

Thank you for checking in on me, really appreciate it.

Lots of love, Amy xxx

Sending you oodles of love for Tuesday Amy. Try ajd do something special just for tomorrow, just because you deserve something just for you. Xxx

Thank you Lemon Lavender ?

Im sure ill find something to keep me busy haha.

Hope you are well xxx

How are you doing Amy? Lots of love xx

Hi lemon lavender,

Im good thank you. ?

Surgeon said op went well so just waiting on histology results now to see if they found any more cancer. 

I was sent home on Sunday so have just been resting these last few days, I cant really do much else as I cant bend or move properly yet hahah.

How are you doing? Hope you are well.

Xxx

Hi Amy,

It's good to hear that your surgeon feels all went well.

Sorry to hear you can't move much. Are you allowed to have baths? Have you got someone taking care of you?

I was really hoping I might still be able to work afterwards. My work involves sitting one to one with people and talking at my home, so not too strenuous of a job. But not something I could do in my pj's if I didn't feel up to getting dressed!

I'm okay, ready to get my results from second LLETZ. Should be any day now.

I hope your recovery goes smoothly X

Hey,

I work from home too but i seem to be asleep most of the day so thats out of the question for now hahah.

I can walk i just cant bend properly yet. So Ive been able to get in the shower but not attempted the bath. Yeah my mum has been staying with me, telling me off for doing too much, all ive done is make a cup of tea! ?? 

Fingers crossed they turn up quickly for you then, and hopefully that will be the end of it all for you ?

Sending lots of love xxx

1 Like

My hysterectomy was just after Christmas.

I was in three nights. I took little with me - took a nightshirt but didn’t reallly need it as I didn’t get up or get a wash till the day before discharge. Sponge bag and towel. Took my phone and charger and earbuds. When you get ready for surgery they give you a box to put your belongings in which finds its way to the ward so I put my essentials in a clear plastic bag on top of my clothes so the nurses could see it easily and fish it out for me. I had a book and my knitting but wasn’t up to it. Mostly dozed. Some people take snacks and lipbalm and drinks and such like but I found the anaesthetic made me so sick I couldn’t eat much.

You get horrible gas after surgery so peppermint is a lifesaver! The nurses gave me peppermint oil in hot water to sip.

It was rough not having visitors but I think most areas now are allowing visitors.

You’ll have a catheter in which will come out in a day or two - I was terrified at the thought of it but in the event it was fine and taking it out was like passing wet spaghetti - the tube just slithered out no pain or discomfort at all! They put it in while I was under. I was stupidly sxared of it - but never knew a thing about it

You might have a bit of a sore throat if they intubate you - you’ll know nothing about it, as they do it when you’re under but after a day you might notice a slight sore throat.

Pain is not as bad as I imagined but don’t wait till it’s bad to ask for pain relief - though they’ll being you regular doses.

I was let out once I had emptied my bladder twice - they do ultrasound scans to check it’s emptied okay and as soon as I’d been for a wee twice and been shown how to do the anticoagulant injections I was okay to go home. My husband fetched me and a nurse carried my bag. A couple of plastic bags on the car seat will help you swivel in and out - your core muscles will be on strike (and sore) you’ll rely entirely on your arms and thigh muscles but as long as you think about movements before you try, you’ll be fine. Don’t pick stuff up - make like lady muck and get people to fetch and carry for you.

I had a wedge pillow at home as it was a while before I could lie all the way down. A soft pillow to press on your tummy will save your life if you need to cough or sneeze. And an overbed table. I spent 6 weeks on the sofa feet on a blanket box watching telly. I tried walking but it was a couple of weeks before I could make it to the top of the street. Don’t push it though. You need the rest.

And be ready to put your feet up for 6 weeks - rest rest rest. It’s incredible how little effort is too much! I thought it would just be pain management but otherwise all normal - I ecen thought I could work on the sofa- but I wasn’t ready for the impact - your body will be working hard to heal and adjust and every molecule of energy is needed and there’s none left even for mental energy! I couldn’t even read for ages! I was weepy as hell - maybe hormones or maybe just the exhaustion.

Nobody warned me about the hunger though! Once the anaesthetic wore off I was ravenous! I put loads of weight on. That and swelly belly mean I feel like an elephant now. So plan healthy nourishing food so you don’t dive into biscuits and cakes!

It’s 27 weeks now. I mowed the lawn today and it was much harder than it used to be. Tummy is still a riny bit tender - still need to pull myself upright - the tummy crunch is still a bit hard. I tire more easily. But iI am cancer free. I started back at work at about 8 or 10 weeks I think - phased return - and mine is office work at home! Still found it hard at first! Make sure you take enough time to build up again.

I hope yours goes well. If you haven’t found it already there’s a facebook group called Hysterectomy Sisters UK which is excellent - really useful to ask if this is normal or what helps that etc.

Xxxxx

1 Like