Rad Hysterectomy success ?

Hi, 

Having been staged at 1b1 with a 3cm tumour from MRI (16mm biopsy no clear margins) I’m having a radical hysterectomy, albeit waiting 8 long weeks.  I have been told it looks like no spread but can’t be sure...

I wanted to ask if I may how many of you had a radical hyst for stage 1 but required further treatment after the post op results ? 

I am squamous cell type. I do have a current problem with my lymph nodes swollen on one side of my body but they have suggested that they are reacting to the cancer rather than involved directly, hopefully. 

Drs couldn’t give me a % on those needing more treatment but said it’s a low number ! 

Thank you 

Lisa 

I was diagnosed with adenocarcinoma of the endocervix, Ib1, and there was no residual disease found in the radical hysterectomy pathology - so no further treatment. It’s very likely that the LEEP procedure caugh it with the excision and the cauterization.

Hi Lisa. I was a 1b1 and had a laparascopic RH. However, during the op they found that 5 lymph nodes had been affected, so I went onto have chemo rads a coup,e of months later. Not sure you should draw too much from this as there were issues in my case about it not being picked up sooner. Good luck with your RH and all being well that will be the end of it. By the way, my treatment was 3.5 years ago now. 

Hi Lisa

i had a 3cm 1b1 squamous cell tumour too and had a radical hysterectomy with around 20 lymph nodes removed, which were all clear of disease. I needed no further treatment and have had no recurrence and am almost 2 year anniversary post diagnosis.  I hope this helps, it is such a worrying time but fingers crossed for you for a similar outcome.

Best wishes

Michelle

Hello,

I was diagnosed stage 1 in October and had an radical hysterectomy in November. This was my preferred treatment as I wanted to save my fertility and be able to have surrogacy as an option in the future.

The operation went well, 18 lymph nodes removed and were all clear, also clear margins, however they found LVSI present. Due to this they gave me the option of further treatment or not...a difficult choice! 

From reading different stories on here I’ve noticed that some people knew they had LVSI from the beginning whereas mine was only discovered after my operation. Maybe if I knew beforehand the treatment plan would have been different. 

There are many girls on here that have had a RH and that has been enough. There are so many factors that may lead to more treatment after the operation like size of tumour, lymph involvement, LVSI, type of tumour...everybody is different so it’s hard to predict the likihood of further treatment which is why doctors will never say a RH will be all that you need. We just all hope that it is! 

I decided to go for the extra treatment and I had my last chemo today with only 4 out of 25 radiotherapy left to go!! 

I wish you the best of luck! 

Hi,

I was also diagnosed with 1B1cc in October and had a RH in November with ovaries and lymph nodes removed. Lymph nodes were checked after my op and was clear so no further treatment was reqhired, just three monthly check ups. I’ve just had my first three monthly check up and all seems good. At my next three monthly check up I’m having a vault smear. It’s reassuring that you are monitored regularly.

All the best with your op  and take care if you need any more advice please do not hesitate to in box me.xxx

caz x

How was the RH with ovary removal? 

I am going in for mine on Monday - it has been a 5 month run of proceedures and testing and now this....I'm 43 and pretty intimidated about the surgical menopause, but I reckon I need to do it. 

Curious to know how your recovery went? Drop me a line if/when you get a chance.

Ali

Hi Ali, 

my RH wasn‘t as bad as I thought it was going to be, I struggled with hot flushes and night sweats initally but I am now on a low dose of HRT and that seems to have settled it. I struggle more emotionally but my husband and I had a lot of bad things happen to us last year and I’ve had a lot of problems with my employees since returning back to worK so that hasn’t helped me. I don’t regret having my ovaries removed I’m 46 and have completed my family for me it seemed to be the right option. I really hope everything goes well for you on Monday I’ll be think of you. If you want to ask any more questions please do hesitate to contact me either on the forum or in box me.

Caz

xx