Question about nodes...

How did some of you know whether you had l. Node involvment? I’m not having any types of surgery because my tumor is too big. How will they know about mine? Would scans show it? It seems a lot dont know until surgery unless I’m just misunderstanding. I have had MRI and Pet, would they know then?

Hi I'm stage 2b my MRI picked up a slightly enlarged pelvic lymph node so had PET scan which confirmed pelvic lymph involved so think if you've had this done they should have mentioned to you by now. My consultant said that's what PET is for, where I live they also check abdominal nodes so I'm having a few removed this week then start my chemo and radiotherapy 1 week after. If your unsure ask your doctor or nurse , they said my radiation will zap the pelvic nodes and my abdominal ones were clear on scan but if they come back with even a tiny trace of spread they are going to increase radiation field to zap them too xx

Hi

from my understanding they check mri and pet scans for lymph involvement. If the scans are clear they go ahead with the standard treatment. If scans are positive they will investigate further lymph nodes such as abdominal. there is a chance that a lymph node could have microscopic cells that cannot be detected on a scan but the radiation to the pelvic would cover that area. if further nodes are involved it just changes the amount  area covered. 

Hi. I had node involvement.  The chemoradiation sorts it out x 

Hi 

I've been told that one of my lymph nodes showed up as slighlty enlarged but isn't big enough on the MRI for them to tell whether or not there's cancer there. Because they are treating the full area with chemo/radiotherapy, they said even if there is lymph node involvement, it will get treated with everything else so it's nothing to worry about.

Hope this helps.

Helen x