Post-Smear

Hi,

I had my first smear test today and having never been sexually active before I was really nervous. 

The nurse was wonderful, really reassuring, and let me know that I could ask her to stop at anytime. She also used a smaller speculum with some gel on it and although I had some pain it was mainly just pretty uncomfortable.

I'm feeling quite vulnerable after it and just wondered if other women have felt this too? I feel physically sore, but I know that will ease in the next 24 hours or so. But I just feel a bit emotionally wobbly, I was super nervous beforehand and having never had sex I didn't know what to expect sensation wise.

Thank you x

Well done you for getting it done. First one can be pretty daunting. It is totally normal to be feeling a bit vulnerable after this experience. Especially when you've not been sexually active prior.

Hopefully you will feel better once the sensation fades. 
Allow yourself some time to feel what you're feeling.

A good hot soak in a tub always helps me feel better. Xxx

I had my first smear today and also have never been sexually active so found it a very daunting experience. The nurse was lovely when I went in, explained things to me and told me I could stop the exam at anytime I felt uncomfortable.

I felt fine as I got ready and the nurse came in but on inserting the speculum it was a lot of pain. I had to stop the exam on three occasions and on the fourth she got what sample she could. I was in tears on the bed and found it a very painful experience and do not see myself returning again.

I bled quite a bit after and have continued to bleed into the evening and still don't feel right at all, just a very uneasy feeling.

I had spoke with my sister beforehand who said it was just uncomfortable so I think it was quite a shock to the system the amount of pain I experienced as usually I have quite a high pain threshold.