Nurse couldn't complete smear test, feeling frustrated

Hi,

This isn't meant to put anybody off, as I understand for most people it is just a bit of discomfort, but I had a bad experience today and I don't know where to talk about it, I am concerned how it will affect me actually trying to get it done again.

I am 24, and I do feel like I need a smear test. Not because I have any symptoms, but just because I am at the age now and I am on the pill. I am anxious by nature, especially at the doctors, and I know that being tense will make it painful. I was nervous but I tried to keep calm, the nurse wasn't horrible, but I think she had little patience for dealing with first timers for this. She told me not to be nervous, but implied it in a way as though I might inconvenience her by being nervous. I got ready, and I was nervous but my body didn't actually feel that tense, but as soon as the speculum was inserted I found it not uncomfortable, but painful, I must have mumbled something out of pain. She then said she would open it, and as soon as it hit what I assume was the cervix, I accidentally yelped 'ow'. The pain was pretty bad, definitely surpassing 'uncomfortable' for me, the only way I can describe it was like a needle hitting your insides, but I really tried despite the pain.

After hearing me say 'ow' she started asking me if I was sexually active (I am) then said she doesn't think I can do this today so stopped the procedure, told me to read up about it (I had already), patted me on the back and just left whilst I was still in the room.

I am still in a bit of pain from it. I feel embarrassed, kind of like I must be childish for not being able to deal with the pain. But then I wonder, is it normal to have this sort of pain that causes you to yelp? Could it be my nerves? Could it be something else related to anatomy or something? I want it done, but I cried when I left as I felt so embarrassed and pathetic not being able to do it, and I know that this will loom in my mind when I rebook, so I don't know how to make it less unpleasant for myself.

Has anybody had anything like this? How did you go about rebooking?

You poor girl, what a horrid experience.

im not keen on the speculum either.

my lovely doctor lets me put the speculum in myself and then she takes over- perhaps that’s an option?

its amazing how tense you can be without realising 

it will hurt if you are tense 

good luck with the next one and maybe ask the nurse if you can insert the speculum yourself and then she can open it slowly

good luck and don’t worry x

Hi hope you are feeling a little better now.

i have a lot of pain whenever i have a smear it aways brings me to the verge of tears.

i can never understand prople who say it doesnt hurt at all!

we must just be delicate flowers!

my first smear i cried before, during and after. The poor nurse didnt know what to do with herself. 

i have to have the small speculum now but it is still painful for me.

dont beat yourself up too much, its not childish at all to be in pain or upset - i bet we could stand pains other people couldnt just not the smear lol x

Hi there 

I actually did not go back to the gyno for years because my first visit was horrendous. She couldn’t even get it in. I was still a virgin trying to get prescribed BC around age 18. I think I cried too. I finally decided to try to get BC years later for my acne and had to face it all again. I was so nervous, but made myself go. I was sexually active, but tampons have always felt weird inside me, so assumed it would hurt badly. I told myself to relax as much as I could, told the gyn my fears, asking for the smaller speculum and lube.  It all must have worked, because it didn’t hurt at all, just pressure. The swab felt weird, but not painful or uncomfortable at all. Once it was over, I was surprised out how easy it went. Now every single time I forget to ask for the lube and it kind of hurts (speculum inserting and sometimes while in place)!

So maybe lube will help! 

So the first test I ever had I was overwrought and screaming. Pain for 3 days. After that second test still painful, and by 3rd I was in bits with anxiety. Today, I got some information about dealing with my emotions and frankly heartbreak over this. Seriously I cry just booking it so I know what it feels like to feel like you can't face it. Today it couldn't be done due to too much mucus ( yuck sorry) but the nurse was so so kind and supportive of trying to help my emotional state. Rebooked and know now that support is out there. Be strong. Speak up if it is difficult. It can be overcome xx

I know exactly how you feel 

I had my 1st smear appointment last week and nurse was unable to perform mine too due to tightness and how tense i was 

Dreading booking my next attempt! 

Di you get around to rebooking? I had 2 failed smear tests as too tense so nurse was unable to do it. So been referred to difficult smear clinic and doctors note to prescribe me with valium/ diazipam. So upset and frustrated with myself I feel like not even going :(