Unsuccessful Smear Test - How to cope with pain?

After putting it off for a year, at 25 I had my first smear test today. I've never been sexually active and using tampons is generally too difficult for me, so I've been extremely anxious (due to anxiety disorder as well) about having it. The nurse was absolutely lovely and did her best to put me at ease, but was unable to complete the test because I could not cope with the pain, it felt excrutiating. She used the smallest speculum, and putting it in was fine, but I couldn't cope with her opening it up, it felt like the worst pain I've ever experienced. 

I tend to not be very vocal with my pain and just try to get it over with, but I was unable to keep quiet or sit still while she was opening it, it felt excruciating. She tried three times, but couldn't open it up enough. I've got instructions to book another appt in a months time, and try to use tampons in the mean time to get used to it. (I have very few periods so this probably won't be possible).

I tried to do as she said and relax my muscles, and slightly bear down as if I were having a wee, but it was awful, I'm absolutely dreading my next try. Is there anything I can do to make it less painful? I feel like I'll never be able to get one done. :(

Hello PrinceZephir

I can recommend calling Jo's helpline for a friendly chat and advice or there is now an e-mail equivalent. There is also an Ask the expert service. I hope this is helpful and that it all works out for you A x

I had a similar experience today, It took four attempts to get a sample and even at that the nurse didn't know if what she got would be sufficient.

I found it extremely painful and was even in tears, afterwards I had to take a bit of time to myself as I found it a very overwhelming experience that I hope to never experience again.

I think you go in thinking one thing and when it doesn't go as smoothly as you expect it feels awful.