Please help! Smear, lletz and MDT meeting

Hi everyone

This website has been a massive help to me so far! 

I had my very first smear done at the age of 33 ( I know I should of gone sooner but I was scared) 

Smear went ok and actually wasn't as bad as what I thought it would be. I had my results come back quickly with hospital refurral for colposcopy. My results were server abnormalities.

The doctor from my GP surgery rang me and said he wanted to double check the hospital had been in contact!  He said the smear had show sever inflammation? He thought at least I would need the cone treatment done.

Went to colposcopy and she done lletz treatment, told me she wasn't sure what it was but had got rid of the abnormalities. She said there was a chance I would have to have a hysterectomy. To be honest I just wanted to get out of there so didn't ask any further questions. She booked me in to go back and see her to discuss results in 2 and a half weeks time. My appointment was meant to be on the 19th of September. She rang me on the Friday as my results had come back and thought she would tell me straight away. CIN3 with clear margins. Phew! 

But she said to me that she was sending my smear back off to be tested again as there was quite a difference in results!  Now my impression was that my smear results was worse then my lletz results.  

What could if been picked up on my smear? I also had BV and thrush at the time of my smear. Could that affect my smear results?  I asked her this on the phone and she said she didn't know. 

I've just received the letter of my results if if  lletz and it says my smear and lletz results are going to be discussed and they will write to me with the outcome. 

I'm really worried now. Has anyone been through the same and can give me some advice please. 

Hi Hazelnut, Good news that they managed to remove the cells with clear margins!

At MDT meetings, they examine and discuss the results of tests and treatments for each patient, especially when there appears to be a conflict between results, and decide how to proceed from there - whether further tests or treatment are needed, or to send you on your way and come back in 6 months time. My May 2018 smear came back with CIN3, but the first LLETZ came back ‘inflammation’. So at a MDT meeting and after checking my histology as there was a discrepancy with the smear, they decided to do another LLETZ. This resulted in removal of CIN3 cells with a narrow margin.

It sounds like in your case they’re also reviewing your histology to make sure they haven’t missed anything else. I don’t know why she mentioned about a hysterectomy during the colposcopy. Sounds like your in good hands!

Thank you so much for getting back to me.

I'm just worried that my original smear has picked up some thing bad and it has been missed? 

Hello..

I'm in the same boat as you are. Had a smear done back in July. Results where high grade dyskaryosis (moderate) i had a colposcopy done with in a week a week of my smear results. My colposcopy showed nothing. Nome of the solution used changed colour. The nurse doing the examination seemed confused so...sent my results for a MDT meeting. Its been 5 weeks since my colp and the meeting just took place last friday. In which they have decided to do a Lletz treatment which is booked for this coming Thursday. X