Please help me

@Frenchie it’s terrifying being diagnosed with cancer, especially when yoy have a younf family. I’m week 5 post radical hysterectomy at a stage 1b2 but im due to have 25 radiotherapy sessions and 5 doses of cisplatin in about 4 weeks. Its really hard but your children need you to have the treatment so you can continue being their mommy. I think it’d be good to get some emotional support. If you go online you can self refer for counselling with bupa through macmillan for free. I started mine last week snd it’s helping. Take care

2 Likes

Can anyone tell me how the chemo part works?

1 Like

@Frenchie totally understand, when I got diagnosed I was told stage 2B but they put me up to 3c1 when I got the results - I literally had a meltdown on the spot but the docs said it changed nothing in terms of outcome and the treatment plan it was exactly the same.

The radio is quick, and you don’t feel a thing. The longest bit is making sure your bladder is full when you go In and getting to and from the hospital. The chemo was ok too, once you’re all set up you just have to sit there and wait to be done. They look after you really well and I took the opportunity to rest and have a good nap! Although everyone is different I had little to no side affects with the chemo, the worse I had was fatigue and I slept a lot.

Honestly, the Brachy is not that bad, it’s a bit uncomfortable but they give you loads of painkillers and look after you. The not knowing is horrible, but when you get the treatment plan you will get some control back.

Awww I don’t have kids so I can’t imagine how you’re feeling for them or how they are feeling, but I completely believe and know that you will get through it and in a few weeks time you’ll think I made it through. Xxxxx

2 Likes

If I have to have Brachy which it sounds like I do, I’m going to ask them to keep me under general for all of it. I have such fear of waking up with things still in me. That terrifies me more than I can put in to words.

How long does chemo take ?

1 Like

Hi Frenchie, firstly I’m so sorry you are going through this as I am for every single person that finds themselves here me included.

I have just come to reassure you… I was diagnosed at stage 3c (5cm tumour extending into parametrium and pelvic lymph node spread) 3 years ago when my little one was 7 months old.

I had full treatment with chemo, external radiation and 2 x brachy… no it was not fun and I was terrified as in 2018 I watched my mum go through cancer and pass away however I did get through it and 3 years on I’m still here with pretty much no treatment side effects

I have suffered with ptsd and health anxiety however I’ve now got through that as best I can too.

My little boy is now 3 and I’m so grateful I got through and am still here to be his Mummy… allow your children to be your motivation because believe me they keep you going when your in the thick of it… you absolutely can do this, lots of love xxx

5 Likes

Brachytherapy is over a couple of days so you only go into theatre to have the rods placed and then you have to lay still for 30 hours… you also have mri’s, ct’s and treatments during this time… no it wasn’t pleasant however but you can do it… chemo days were longer days as the whole chemo session was 6 hours if your having cisplatin and then radiotherapy after wards… usually it’s chemo and external radiation for 5 weeks and then 2 x brachy xxx

2 Likes

Oh god 30 hours laying there with that in me - I don’t think I can do it.

1 Like

I didn’t think I could either but I did and here I am 3 years later, cancer free and well… my diagnosis was pretty dire… my tumour was growing at the speed of light and it needed aggressive treatment… I had no other option it was start treatment immediately and that was that… you can do it, your a Mummy to beautiful children that need you xxx

2 Likes

You sound much stronger than I am. My phobia is so strong I shake and cry and I can’t breathe. I’m doing it now thinking about having that put in me and being left in there. I feel like a specimen not a person. I really don’t want to do any of this or put my family through it. I really do think I need to just go and disappear.

1 Like

I’m only strong because I had to be… I was categorically told that I needed to start treatment right away or I would die very soon, that bluntly… I had watched my mum pass away with pretty much the same treatment plan as me except brachy… she even had the same chemo drug and there I was a new Mummy with a 7 month old baby that needed me… dying wasn’t an option for me

Your babies need you… you absolutely can do this, I don’t like medication either however I had to give in and go on something to manage my anxiety a year ago as my ptsd and health anxiety were horrific… I did it reluctantly and 12 months later I’ve managed to take myself off all medication for it… please speak to someone, allow them to help you, allow them to manage your anxiety and fear so you CAN get through it because I believe in you and so do your little ones xxx

2 Likes

Try and think of it as you are having to face your fears, imagine being free of the fears that have paralysed you for so long, imagine being able to come out of the other side saying I did this, I did it and the pride you can feel for yourself… focus on that, focus on how that would feel, breathe into it, allow that feeling to move through you xxx

2 Likes

If you would like to speak to me privately I am happy for you to find me on Facebook… my name is Claire Dunford and my profile picture is me and my little boy on the beach… I’m happy to help in any way I can xxx

1 Like

I just can’t see through it. I don’t know how I’m ever going to be ok again. My poor daughter is 6, it’s too much for her to have to carry. My 18 month old wouldn’t remember me anyway.

1 Like

I’ve got an appointment with the GP and the wellbeing service on Tuesday. But I don’t have any faith that they’ll be able to do anything. There’s nothing that can get me out of this, I’m alone and only an enormous amount of drugs (making me incapable of being a parent anyway) will allow me to basically be in a coma through this. I’m not mentally strong enough for it.

1 Like

It’s 3 months, 3 months out of what could potentially be a lifetime of memories… I think deep down you know which they would rather xxx

2 Likes

@Frenchie I’m so glad you are going to see the well-being team, they will help you I’m sure. I know it feels really desperate and that you’re alone, but you’re not, we’re all with you even if just virtually, you will be able to get through it. I too felt that my body had betrayed me at the time, but it was also strong enough to get me through treatment and for that I’m thankful. I’m 2 months out and feel good, well and i am enjoying life. At the beginning of all my stuff, it felt like I was never gonna feel normal again, but I do, and now cancer is not the first thing that comes to mind every morning when I wake up. Please look after yourself and reach out if you need to xxxxx

2 Likes

Thank you all for your responses. I’m hoping that it really is just 3 months. Thats given me a tiny bit of hope. We have our first proper holiday booked at the end of July and I am desperate not to ruin this for my family. My daughter in particular.
I’m hoping they hurry up with this scan and I can just fucking get on with this. I’m really struggling with the waiting.
We’ve been out today, and I feel a tiny bit more human. But not much tbh.

1 Like

The brachytherapy isn’t the worst part and nothing to be feared in my opinion. It’s not fair for any of us, Its a horrible disease but the treatment gives us hope and more time. If we didn’t have the treatment as hard as it is then there’s no hope. That’s how I looked at it. Tears, anger, fear of the unknown a rollercoaster but I can tell you it is all worth it. Sending you lots of love xx

3 Likes

What was the worst part for you? I don’t know if I can think of much worse !

1 Like

The chemo was the worst for me, having the radiotherapy Monday to Friday then the chemo on a Wednesday too was gruelling but the medical team were amazing and supportive. The Brachy was a relief as it came at the end and the final push to obliterate the tumour. Try not to read too much negative stuff and take each day as it comes. I had 3 Brachy sessions, the epidural blocks the pain and you can be asked to be put under which I did for one session. X

2 Likes