Persistent hpv fear and anxiety

Hi, I am really hoping that some of you can help me. I was diagnosed with positive high risk hpv 3 years ago and every year since. It has left me in a heightened state of anxiety. I split from my husband of 12 years 5 years ago and made some not so great choices since and now find myself in a lovely relationship which has been just over 3 years. So just found happiness again and then hpv rears it’s ugly head. It has really knocked me and I blame myself totally for having it, I worry about passing it on to my partner and worry about other cancers that cervical screening obviously doesn’t keep on top of. Ie throat cancer and anal cancer. I find myself so worried about also spreading hpv to other parts of my self when washing etc which might sound totally irrational but when I asked my doctor about it they didn’t really answer whether that was a possibility or not. The constant living in fear of the fact that I can’t shake this horrible thing and that cancer seems the inevitable is absoloutely crippling me in enjoying my normal life and I just long for feeling normal again! I know this probably all sounds very dramatic and people are actually battling with the reality of cancer etc and at the moment this is all what ifs but I just can’t shake the fear. Any help or advice or words of comfort would be greatly appreciated- or just a great big reality check!!

3 Likes

I’m sorry to hear you feel so anxious, I’ve had similar thoughts too. I’ve been with my husband for over 20 years and I only found out in May this year I carry HPV. It’s the first time I’ve been tested and it was a shock to think that I’ve carried this unknowingly for so long.
I’ve just had a hysterectomy for CGIN and CIN 3 and I’m hoping to clear it at my next check up in 6 months but…… I know there are no guarantees to clearing it or it remaining clear.
I do know our best chance of clearing it is to have a healthy immune system. Worry and anxiety all lead to stress which weakens our immune system so I would try not to worry about the what if’s that we have no control over and focus on what you can do to help. Eat well, exercise if you can and take vitamin supplements. There is some evidence to suggest AHCC supplements can help….also folic acid and vitamin D. For the other cancers HPV can cause I think the best thing we can do it read up on the symptoms these cancers can cause and go to the doctors if we develop any. Living in a state of fear won’t prevent anything and can only do more harm than good to your health. I do believe the stress and grief of losing my Dad at the start of 2020 caused my HPV to reactivate. So I’m saying this for both of us as I need to do this too. Let’s stop worrying about what we can’t control and take positive steps to change what we can control. I completely understand how you feel.

4 Likes

Hi Lynnie, Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I massively appreciate it. I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your dad and the fact that you have had to deal with this on top of all that. It must have been a difficult year for you. It’s good to hear how positive you are about working to clear the hpv and that is really refreshing. I definitely need to embrace that!! Rather than feeding this horrible thing to try and fight it! Easier said than done as I’ve tried giving myself a pep talk quite regularly and then fears still creep in. But you are right to keep trying to focus on what we can control rather than what we can’t is the only way forward. I have heard in a few of the discussions the girls taking about AHCC. Have you started taking this and do you know where to get it from please? Good luck for your 6 months review and again a massive thank you for taking the time to respond and reach out

1 Like

Hi - I wanted to reply to your message - I could have written your message - I am 47 and got divorced from my child hood sweetheart 7 years ago when he had affairs - I like you did not make some great choices when newly single and now find my self with High Grade persistent HPV. Only difference I don’t have a new partner - this whole experience has made me very self conscious and made my self confidence every less - despite the fact I have high powered job and single mum to two teenage boys. I was diagnosed 3 years ago - and have just had first LEETZ procedure waiting for results . The reason I wanted to write is that I am in therapy (after a breakdown) for the whole worry and anxiety caused by HPV and tbh the way the NHS deal with the whole process and experience. I am learning to postpone my worry about all of this and this method might help you as well? I now only allow myself to worry once a week for an hour!!! also to try and think that you don’t know what will happen and the medical staff have your back - even though I know sometimes it feels like they are not concerned. Sending positive vibes and please know you are not alone.

4 Likes

I’m much the same had it since 2018 my dad unwell then sadly departed now it won’t go away I do everything re fruit veg vitamins etc it’s v odd had colposcopy numerous awaiting a date for hysterectomy think it’s stress too as in a high position at work try and focus on the finer things de stress but easier said than done why oh why I ask I’m w same partner 12 yrs I just don’t get it anyone else in same position take care lynnie1

1 Like

What a shame Bramley it’s so worrying the hpv thing had it since 2018 its always on my mind I do try but sometimes I feel same as you no one really understands hope you feel a bit better soon have they said they are going to go for hysterectomy at all thanks

1 Like

Did you try ahcc I have the supplement now for a few times unsure if it will help x

Yeh I have this but sometimes forget to take it I also read a thing there about the hpv vaccine as therapeutic vaccine small study but it may help thanks

1 Like

Hi Alieoli,
I saw your post and thought I should share my experience with you. I have been with my husband for 23 years. All the smears were negative but only last July my smear was hpv positive with CN1 low grade precancerous cells. I took Quality of life AHCC kinko platinum 3 grams for 3 months along with folic acid, multivitamins supplements and Curcumin ( Turmeric). I had private colposcopy in January and my results came back no hpv. I bought AHCC from Amazon they are quite expensive but worth it.

1 Like