Pelvic Examination

Hi I have a pelvic examination on Monday.I have been getting a regular discharge for about 3 weeks now and unexplained itchyness that wont go away.I had a polyps removed at colposcopy in 2020 after been referred for what later turned out to be a cancer scare(cervical cancer).NHS 111 told me it was nothing to worry about and that they just needed a swab but then when I rang the gp she said the nurse had actually asked for a pelvic Examination too.My question is are they always looking for sighs of cancer or could it be something else.Im a little worried about this now as I feel like its been played down.Also has anyone had one of these could tell me whats in store please

Hi jac89811

I’m not quite sure what is meant by a pelvic examination. Will you be having a scan? I had a swab taken to check for infection when I first went to my GP about my abnormal discharge. The swab result was negative so then I was referred for a transvaginal ultrasound scan. In my case it was thought I most likely had fibroids but the scan revealed little more than a very slightly thickened uterine wall which was within normal range.

The scan itself was no big deal - a blob of jelly was placed on my abdomen and then the probe applied which enables an image to be seen a screen. An internal scan was also attempted which involves inserting a probe intom the vagina; however I couldn’t tolerate that - not because it’s awful but because I had major issues with any internal exams - couldn’t tolerate a smear test either.

Not sure if the above is relevant but, easy to say, try not to worry and take things as they come. In my experience the medics don’t tend to play things down but neither will they unnecessarily scare you. My discharge was followed by abnormal bleeding whereupon the GP told me he was referring me urgently as there was chance (small) that I had cancer. That referral resulted in me having a hysteroscopy and I was told immediately afterwards that I had abnormalities on my cervix which were most likely cancer - they were (see my back story)

x

Thankyou ive since found out it like a smear but they use their fingers rather than an insert to feel if everything is in the right place.They then take a swab and send it off.Im just very wary now because of my previous experience.The failed attempts the nursw told me were last time were because the view was blocked rather than not been able to perform the procedure.Yes already been warned if im in colposcopy again im having a hysterectomy.I hope it all works out for you seems quite an ordeal

They will likely use a speculum so they can see your cervix, and may have a feel inside for any lumps etc. They will also have a feel of your lower abdomen and pelvic area and push down on areas and ask if it’s sore at all.

1 Like