Could I have cervical cancer? Extremely worried, feel like GPs aren't listening

Hi everyone,

I’m terrified about what my symptoms could mean and still haven’t found any answers. About 4 or 5 months ago I started getting blood in urine and some spotting, I did many urine tests and blood tests which came back with a combination of white and red blood cells. They gave me antibiotics and concluded it was an infection - the blood went. Blood tests came back normal.

Months later I started getting cramps, strange gushes of discharge (watery, lasted longer than typical ovulation) which felt like I was peeing myself. Sorry for tmi, but it did not smell like urine and had more of a sweet scent. I’m only 27 so was obviosuly really freaked out by this. I also noticed slight pain after sex and peeing. I saw a gp who was very very dismissive and rude about the whole thing - she told me the discharge was normal, it was probably stress, dismissed cramps for constipation, etc. It was only after paying private to see a gynecologist that he sent a letter to my GP asking for a referral for both a pelvic exam (I had the abdominal one rather than transvaginal) and a urinary tract one. All I received back from both was a message from GP saying “ultrasounds were normal”. I’m still having gushes of what seems like discharge (tested negative for BV, had pessaries for thrush which haven’t seemed to work). It doesn’t have a strong odour. I also feel bloated and tired.

My main worry here is that they didn’t do a transvaginal scan as part of the ultrasound, only the external one to show the pelvis. Surely they would have looked at my cervix, but I’m worried it needs checking again. Are these types of pelvic scans good at detecting possible cervical cancer? GPs and a gyn have all looked at my cervix and haven’t alerted me of anything abnormal or felt anything weird so does this mean it’s unlikely to be cc?

I can’t ignore the weird discharge leakages and cramps anymore and it’s really impacting me mentally (which the GP liked to blame for me seemingly imagining these symptoms in the first place). I haven’t had any bleeding for a good few months (other than menstruation), nor blood in urine. My main worries now are feeling bloated, cramps, excessive discharge and some weird feeling after peeing, similar to uti but when checked at the doctor’s it comes back negative for a urine infection.

I had my last smear test, and first smear test, around 3 years ago (I think) and I’ve just turned 27 so should be due another soonish. Can I request one to look at my cells? I’ve tested negative a number of times for any stis (it’s the only thing my GPS seem to want to look at).

Could it be recurring thrush? If anyone could help, that would be amazing as I’m panicking and struggling to sleep or function worrying about it all. Both grandmas on each of my parents’ sides died from bowel cancer, though I’m not sure if that plays a part.

Thanks

You can buy tests for vaginal infections from Boots/Superdrug. Also uti tests. We have bowel problems in family. Maybe ask gp for that home test. If you feel something is wrong write it all down get gp appointment and say worry is affecting your mental health and you are not happy with symptoms. Good luck, you need some reassurance/more tests X

Dear Sam,

I’m sorry to hear that your GP is not picking up on your worries, although I think it’s reassuring that you’ve been having investigation for your issues and that the tests have been clear. You didn’t say what your smear test revealed - did you test positive for HPV? Were there any signs of abnormal cells? If not then you’re highly unlikely to have developed cervical cancer in around 3 years, so I think it’s important not to torment yourself with extreme possibilities at this stage. It sounds like your GP thinks they have done all that is needed to reassure you, but you’re not willing to take their advice. Whilst I can understand this I feel for you because no-one seems to be giving you any explanation for the symptoms you’ve been experiencing. The sweet smelling urine, incidentally, is generally related to diabetes (too much sugar in the urine) - you haven’t said whether you have any current medical conditions which could impact on your gynaecological health.

You should have a letter in your medical records from your smear test. This will tell you when you’re next due for a test. Try to find this and see when you’ll next be invited. Your symptoms do sound like an STI or UTI which is why the GP has been checking these things. It may be that there are things you could do to change your diet if you’re getting a lot of bloating and cramps, because this could be dietary. I think maybe at some time you will need to ask your doctor whether they can recommend anything you can do to help with your symptoms, but accept that they may not all be related to the same thing, and that anxiety and worry (to the extent that you’re not sleeping) will also impact on your gut health. Let your GP know that you’re happy to accept their diagnosis, but that you need an explanation for your symptoms because it’s affecting your mental health. X

1 Like

The best person to know your body is you. You need to have a smear test asap. Go ptivate if you have to, you cannot go on like you are indefinitely, you are suffering, and at least a clear smear test will give you some relief from worry. I had a thin watery discharge before I got diagnosed, and I believe others have too.