Pain after LLETZ

Hi everyone,

I received my smear results just under 3 weeks ago advising high grade (severe) dyskaryosis had been found in my sample and a colposcopy had been arranged 3 working days later at my local hospital. During the colposcopy, the consultant confirmed CIN II/III (moderate to severe) dyskaryosis and treated with LLETZ straightaway with 2x local anaesthetic injections (the first wore off halfway through). The pain on day of treatment was as expected (period-like pains, fatigue and discomfort when sitting). However, the abdominal pains, general discomfort and lethargic feeling continued over the next few days.

5 days after LLETZ, I visited the GP as the pain had not subsided and I had begun feeling nauseous and faint. She ran a urine sample which came back clear and I was advised to return to the GP the following week if I was still in pain. I called the hospital’s gynaecology department 3 days later to gauge their opinion. The nurse colposcopist told me she wasn’t unduly concerned as it wasn’t uncommon for women to experience further pain for a week or so after the operation and that the NHS advice (online and in the leaflets provided) downplays the severity of symptoms as the majority of women do feel well enough to return to work afterwards. She told me to keep an eye on my symptoms and go back to my GP the following week if the symptoms continued. 

Another 5 days passed and I returned to the GP (yesterday). Since speaking to the hospital, I had also developed a slight tremor in my hands (and also in my legs when walking, particularly up and down the stairs). My abdominal pains were now generally in my back when sitting/lying down and in my pelvic area when walking – I had tried paracetamol and ibuprofen with limited success. I still felt very fatigued and struggled to concentrate at work for long periods. The GP ran another urine test (clear except for some blood) and also took a swab to check for infection. She issued me with a doctors note to reduce my hours at work to aid my recovery. I was prescribed with codeine to ease the abdominal pain, although it’s adding to my fatigue.     

It has been 2 weeks today since my LLETZ operation and I'm still feeling rather sorry for myself and am unable to work full-time - the abdominal pains are still going strong and it feels like someone is pulling me back every time I walk forwards. I also still have a hand tremor and feel very lethargic. The discharge I’m experiencing is as expected, which the GP and hospital are hopeful means I don’t have an infection.  

Has anyone else experienced similar symptoms after LLETZ? How long did they last for you? I’m still waiting for my LLETZ results but was advised they would take 4-6 weeks to come back, so I’m trying not to get apprehensive yet…