Not Coping

Hi all,

I had my MRI scan this morning. I get the results on Wednesday and I am terrified.

I have had 3 CT scan over a 2 year period (for bowel obstructions) and each time I ask if there is anything “ominous” and I have always been told no, it’s scar tissue. On the third CT scan in April, I asked if there was anything “ominous” and I was told no but I was told that I have radiation enteritis.

Last week I have been having vaginal bleeding and I was booked into the gynae clinic and the doctor told the radiologist checked the CT scan and signed if off as okay but when a second radiologist checked he or she found a shadow or mass and they wrote to me and apparently I cancelled the appointment! I told the doctor that is not true but she didn’t believe me.

I am frightened, scared, terrified and anything else. I am thinking if it is a reoccurrence how big has it got? Or has it spread? Of course, I am hoping and praying everything is fine.

I previously had chemotherapy, radiotherapy and brachytherapy and several operations and I am terrified if it is a reoccurrence that they can’t offer me anything. I feel physically sick just typing this.

I am holding onto the fact this shadow was/is small and it was missed and can easily be rectified and my blood test in August were very good.

Sorry to be moaning at you lovely ladies.

Love and good vibes,

Lisa xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hey Lisa,

I’m so sorry to hear you’re going through all this worry - again! It’s bad enough the first time around. Fear of recurrence is something completely normal for anyone who has experienced cancer but that fact doesn’t make it any less crippling. I’m keeping everything crossed that the second radiologist is mistaken; given that all your other scans have been clear thus far, I’d say there’s reason to be pretty optimistic about this one.

Thinking of you for Wednesday.

Jenny xx

1 Like

Awh Lisa bless you, you’re not moaning at all. Dealing with this post cancer stuff is really horrible and you’ve had more than your fair share of that already. Is there a possibility that the shadow is scar tissue and is the bleeding definitely coming from the vagina rather than bladder? Bladder bleeds can start years after treatment. I just mention this because I got quite a fright the first time I saw lots of blood in the toilet after a wee as I thought it was from the vagina but now know that its all from the bladder due to damage. Also, one of my CT scans once lit up with a shadow and at first they thought it could possibly be secondary bowel cancer. They ended up operating and thankfully it turned out to be a simple ovarian cyst. It’s just so hard not to think the worst isn’t it? I have bleeding on an almost daily basis from colon and bladder damage. It’s so triggering! My most recent scans also showed pelvic fractures so just another thing to deal with.
Lisa if this was the worst case scenario (if), there are other options as many of the ladies here will tell you. You could be suitable for a radical hysterectomy, a pelvic exteneration or chemo mix. Not that I’m personally familiar with any of them (I had the chemo, rads, brachy also) but with each new scare I find myself searching for what my next step could involve.
Keeping fingers crossed for you Lisa and hoping that it’s just scar tissue and nothing more. Please let me know how you get on.
xx Maria

1 Like

Hi Jenny @jd140589 and Maria @Memagh,

Thank you both for your kind and reassuring replies.

I previously had chemotherapy, radiotherapy, brachytherapy and I had several major operations and I have a colostomy and an urostomy. Plus in April I was told I have radiation enteritis, this was taken from the CT scan which the first radiologist said was fine and then the second radiologist found a shadow. The colorectal surgeon I saw then wanted to put in a third stoma (ileostomy) and put me on TPN for 6 months and it was his “intention” to reverse the ileostomy in 6 months. I declined this because it is hard enough with two stomas and I would probably loose a lot of weight just having TPN.

I know I can’t have anymore radiotherapy and chemotherapy made me very ill, I had sepsis and was put into a coma.

I have been told on numerous occasions that it is scar tissue and fingers hope that’s all it is.

As I have an urostomy I haven’t got a bladder and the doctor I saw at the gynae clinic didn’t give me much hope.

I will let you know how I get on.

Sending you both love and good vibes,

Lisa xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1 Like