Newly diagnosed

Hi

I have been newly diagnosed with stage 2b cervical cancer and i am awaiting treatment to start. This was a complete shock as my previous smears were all clear. I was originally diagnosed as stage 1b but since the scans this changed to a 2b with slight perametrium spread and 1 lymph node involved and can no longer have surgery as the tumour is 7cm and too big. I am now awaiting treatment through chemoradiotherapy. I was just wondering if there are any others out there who have had a similar diagnosis to mine at 2b and managed to get through the other end?. I know everyones situation is different but struggling to cope right now. 

Hi. I too had a 7cm tumour but as it had spread into my vaginas and on to my bladder wall I was staged at 4a (nearly 3 years ago) . Lots of ladies have been diagnosed at 2b and come out the other end, hopefully some will come on and say hi to give you some encouragement.

Hi

I was diagnosed with stage 2b similar size tumour in July so wanted to say Hello and say I totally understand how you are feeling. I completed chemo and radiation and brachytherapy it was much more manageable than I expected, If you would like a chat please do message me x

Hi, me too! Diagnosed exactly 3 years ago, stage 2b and a size 7-8cm tumour. I know how you feel and it's very difficult and very daunting. I was the same as Weepingwillow I found the treatment much more manageable than I ever imagined. I think the worse bit is waiting, I found that once treatment started I felt like something was really being done to help and I felt a little easier. Plus you see someone every day and they can help you with any worries, I found this very reassuring.

Love and hugs Mel xx 

I am sorry to hear of your diagnosis it  always comes as a shock. The main thing to remember with a 2B is that you are  statistically much more likely to survive than not to survive. So keep that thought in mind, take the very best care of yourself and your chances are very good.

Karen 

Hi weepingwillow

Thankyou for responding....it is good to know there are others out there for support. I think the waiting to get started is the worst and also the whole uncertainty. 

I am glad to hear the treatment was more manageable than you first thought. Have you had any further scans since your treatment ended? X

Hi Newby

The waiting is totally the worse part and you will feel more focused once treatment starts, just think every session is blasting it away.  I had Brachytherapy treatment at the end of my radiotherapy and chemo and required planning scans for my two sessions, I got a little feedback from the consultant to say some response to treatment was seen but my main scan will be in three months time so feel a bit in limbo awaiting that but I believe the treatment is still working so they say no point scanning earlier, I found the treatment weeks really did go quickly and I hope you too will find it easier that expected, my GP rang me last week and said to keep remembering  that for this stage we have a good chance of cure... CURE! just to hear that word give me a boost and is what we are aiming for ... keep chatting on here to get you through it the ladies are lovely x

Hey! 2b here aswell: i finished treatment and am doing very well. Just remember to be kind to yourself and drinks lots of water. Wishing you all the best xx 

Thank you all so much for your comments....it has given me a little boost to keep going. Just knowing there are others out there who are coming through the other side is encouraging. I will keep checking in with my progress and will keep fighting as hard as i can. I think waiting around to start the treatment is the worst xx 

Hi

Can anyone tell me how long they had to wait before their treatment started?. I am still waiting for treatment to start and from diagnosis to actually starting the treatment will be bordering on 8 weeks. Is this a long time?. This obviously increases anxiety in terms of the cancer possibly spreading further. It just seems like an endless waiting game although i appreciate it takes time for scans, biopsies etc : (

I think when it comes to cancer the waiting around is horrendous and everything feels like a long time but going on people experiences I have read on here that doesn't seem unusual. I was diagnosed end of march and began treatment in May if that helps xx 

hi there. So sorry to hear about your diagnosis but this is such a good place to be in the circumstances! I was diagnosed with stage 2b adenocarcinoma in 2014 and was just discharged from the beatson here in glasgow nearly two weeks ago. I didn’t have chemo and radiation so I can’t help you with that bit. But this is a very treatable cancer and you’ll see posts from lots of ladies who Have received the same diagnosis! I was also originally staged at 1b and had only very slight spread into the parametrium, my nodes were clear at the time of surgery but I had chemotherapy first so every chance 1 or more were positive before that. My only saving grace in all of this was talk, talk and talk some more But even though I’ve been discharged it’s definitely not the end of the journey, it’s another phase it. Go with each appointment as it comes and try not to google :). Charlene xx

Hi Charlene,

just wondering, when did they change your diagnosis to 2b? I’ve been diagnosed as 1b and obviously don’t want to be told differently. I’ve had MRI so this must be accurate? Sorry to ask. Thanks

Hi ladies

Just a general question regarding hair loss. I was told by the consultant that i would not get much hair loss with cisplatin ....maybe just slight thinning. However, i spoke with the chemo nurse today for a pre assessment and she said you do lose your hair. I know in the grand scheme of things hair loss should be the least of my worries but it feels like such a big thing to lose it all. Did anyone else have cisplatin and not lose their hair?. I seem to get conflicting messages. X