Newly diagnosed and very scared - children mentioned

Hi all I need to speak to some people who are in the same situation as me as I feel like I'm going mad. I had a baby 4 months ago and went for a smear as soon as I could after I had given birth. The nurse saw a polyp so after a colposcopy to remove this, I was called back and given the life changing news that I have an adenocarcinoma. I had a hysteroscopy and lletz at the time of diagnosis where the Dr said he thought I had was stage 1b1. I have an MRI tomorrow to confirm this. I am so scared it's going to be worse than this and that I have been given a death sentence. I have to keep positive and stay motivated as I have my four month old amazing little boy to care for. All I keep thinking is that he is going to grow up without a mum, which breaks my heart. Can anyone give me some positive stories that I can take some comfort in as at the moment all I can see is the negative. Thank you!

Hi Hannah

Im sorry you are in this position but stage 1 is very curable and although it's very scary just now and the waiting is awful you will hopefully be able to receive treatment that cures you.

I was also diagnosed with adenocarcinoma, initially thought to be 1B as visible growths on my cervix, however following MRI, CT, further lletz and MDT discussions it was decided it was 1A.

I know it's all so awful at the moment but this forum is a great place to find support and people who are in the same place.

xxx

Thank you. I had the MRI today so one more step along the road. 

Just more waiting now... I've never been good at waiting! 

Your story is very positive and it gives me hope that I will come out the other side.

My stomach is constantly in knots while I wait and I don't want this to rub off on my little boy. 

Having a solid way forward is what I'm waiting for. Does it get easier once you know what your dealing with? 

Yes it does in a way as you have action and a plan. It is a petrifying place to be when you are first diagnosed- the shock, disbelief and fear of the unknown are all very common reactions. One minute you are living your life; next you have been stopped in your tracks. However you feel or act is okay, but the waiting is the worst. Once you have a stage and plan you are likely to feel like you can move forward. I remember it like yesterday as do all of us do know we are here for you. I want to send big hugs your way and know that you have got this xxx

Hi

Yes I found it much easier once I knew what the plan was and had another thing to aim for. 
You're doing amazing and everything you feel is totally normal, try to stay off google it's not your friend at this point in time (I couldn't stay off it and it drove me mad).xxxx

Hi Hannah :-)

I am so sorry to hear you are facing this at the same time as coping with a brand new bundle of joy. Please rest assured that you have not been given a death-sentence, this is a very curable disease. I was diagnosed with 2b adenocarcinoma almost exactly 8 years ago and I am as fit as a fiddle and living life to the full.

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli

Thank you so much. I feel better hearing that. How do you cope with this situation though? 

I am finding it so hard and I feel completely alone, even though I have support from friends and family.

I am just waiting for the MRI results with bated breath. I think I might explode! 

X

Hi Hannah :-)

My situation was as entirely different from yours as it could possibly have been. If you click on the toad you will see my first post here "My Big Fat Greek Hysterectomy". If you read your way all through that you will understand why I am unable to advise you how to cope in your own shoes. I never braved becoming pregnant, giving birth and having a little life-form entirely dependent upon me. I have no idea what that's like, and I appreciate this is all brand-new ground for you. Having the rest of the cancer diagnosis confusion piled on top of that would send any sane person into a spin. So here's what I think; friends and family will be best-suited to helping you manage your new motherhood role; women on this forum will be best-suited to helping you manage your new cancer-patient role. I think you might find it helpful to separate / compartmentalise the two - one set of trainers for subject A and another set of trainers for subject B, in just the same way as there were different teachers for different subjects in school. You might also find it handy to have friends for subject C - just being yourself, nothing to do with babies and nothing to do with cancer.

I hope that makes sense :-)

Be lucky :-)
Tivoli