New test protocol

Just wondering if anyone knows more detail on the new testing as the nurse I saw wasn't sure. 

3 years ago I had an abnormal smear. CIN 3, colposcopy followed by a LLETZ treatment. Following 6 month smear clear.

I was negative for HPV.

I know they have now changed the screening process where they check only for HPV and if clear they don't go on to test any further. This worries me as I know I have already had cell changes and yet do not have HPV so would they look at your history and check or could cell changes now go undetected because of not having HPV? 

I have just had a smear now 3 years on from above issues. Just curious if anyone has had answers on this?

Thank you 

This worries me too. This will be my last smear with the current process, before they switch to HPV testing in my area!

I’ve felt like this for years!

I had CIN3 following my first smear at 26 in 2011 following which I had Lletz & was tested as HPV negative. 

I’ve only have HPV only smear tests since & both negative. So I’ve never had a positive HPV test yet I had severe changes that I was told could turn cancerous and no full smear in 8 years!! I know I could/probably had HPV at some point but never tested positive, so this scares me!

I’m not only worried for me but a band of 20-somethings who are HPV negative but have severe changes that go undetected as they’ve cleared the virus. I’m completely on board that excessive treatment was happening on mild changes. Mine was severe & grade 3. I’m worried sick about it! Spoke to GP last round & nothing came of it. I’ve been with same man for years now so doubt I’ll ever test positive for HPV now. Feel the testing now is invasive & pointless - do you feel the same!?

Contemplating going private for a proper test. Anyone done this?

I don’t know why you all are not directly asking your doctor and hospital and especially in writing? As soon as I found out I wrote to them. I just got my first smear since I found out about all of this and I wrote to them asking them to confirm they would be doing cytology given that 5-10% of cervical cancers are HPV negative. I got a non definitive answer and am waiting on an answer as they escalate it and I’ll make sure I get the answer and get the checks I need. Convey the information to them because apparently they can’t be trusted to do it themselves…