My Cancer Journey 💕

Hi I am Jeanette my cervical cancer journey started in September 2023
As a non - compliance in smear testing since 2005 after a bad experience I just got on with life I just pushed it to the back of my mind

last visit I think was in 2015 with knee problems
We was in Venice in 2018 the first time I started bleeding after painful sexual contact
I was getting near to 65 I knew that every year I had a letter to go for a smear test and at 65 this obviously stopped so in my head I waited for my last letter it arrived
I just finished work and my friend Angie who had been nagging me like forever said I have just been for mammogram and it was fine book your smear todayyyyy so I did I had a rare day of work on the Wednesday and I thought I will do it called the doctors the nurse said we have just had a cancellation come in at 4.30
I have had no symptoms whatsoever absolutely nothing

I bleed a lot on first contact with spatula so was asked to come back next day to see gynaecologists
she still couldn’t get a test without bleeding so she referred me to the hospital for a ultrasound & transvaginal scan
the nurse said she thought they had just nicked me and not to worry but three days later I had a call to go and have a colposcopy this was done on Friday 13th October
Doctor words were this isn’t looking good do you want your husband to come in ? NO I have taken a biopsy will send you for a MRI scan I asked and what’s next plan if action we will put you in touch with a cancer team and she left the room :flushed:
I was very shocked I couldn’t get out of there fast enough there was no empathy nothing absolutely nothing i said nothing to my husband until we got in the car then I broke down I said it’s cancer I think :thinking: it was absolutely hammering it down with rain I was not in control this was a hard hitting fact I felt shattered to million pieces
I am a mum of 4 Daughters and a grandmother to 7 I am the head of the family I was lost completely
I called my eldest daughter first and went down the line to hear them on the phone broke my heart :broken_heart: my youngest was the hardest one to tell she broke down in floods of tears
I felt like I was on a different planet just telling them all together what had been said was the hardest thing in my life I have ever had to do
we as a family have been through some absolute horrific loss but this was out if my control
So my journey started MRI done I was then sent to see a consultant on the 2nd of November so 7 weeks down the line
My husband and I walked into that room she said hi before we had sat down her words were you have cervical cancer it’s gone to far for surgery it’s a stage ? maybe effecting lymph nodes we will send you for a petscan
Do you know we have the best smear testing in the world :rage:
Can you get on the bed other side of that curtain I said to my husband do you want to go out very tiny room and she said no he can stay :rage: and she examined me very forcefully kept saying sorry sorry it was very very painful
she was horrible and the result of this biopsy came back inconclusive what a joke
The nurse was amazing she talked to us my husband asked what stage was it at as we hadn’t been told that so went and got my file and said it was stage 2b I had researched everything about cervical cancer it had consumed my life for 7 weeks so I new this was not looking good
So went home had a family meeting and waited for more tests
Petscan following week 8th weeks down the line
Carried on doing all my normal life things
And fast forward after all MRI PETSCAN and correct Biopsy results on the 22nd November I met with my amazing consultant not a surgeon but the next best thing she said
talked me through absolutely everything and I was diagnosed with cervical cancer stage 2B nothing in lymph nodes thank goodness but it’s growing like cauliflower and the size of a lime ( my name for it ) :hugs:
Treatment started following week
New rapid treatment that had recently been in the news 3 weeks previously
feels like I am a Guinea pig to this but if it kicks this little lime in to orbit I am good to go :+1:
12 weeks in total of treatment back to back no gaps
already done 10 of worrying so I can do this
1 day chemo every week for 6 weeks
4 days of radiotherapy with 5th day chemo & radiotherapy combined
For 1st week
Next 4 weeks
Radiotherapy every day
Week 6
5 days in hospital for bracktherapy
Then home and return in 12 weeks to get further scans and fingers crossed :crossed_fingers: it will be gone
Long journey ahead but I am on 4th round of chemo tomorrow and am feeling absolutely fine my hair is getting very fine I have had cracked lips but nothing awful I have been working 2 days after chemo every week
so I am being very positive that is what will get me through all this having positive attitude and my amazing husband & family support I will update in a couple of weeks but it has been amazing how I can put this into words of my Cervical Cancer journey :hugs: thank you

9 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:. I gives everyone strength to read other people stories xx

3 Likes

Hi Mel2 yes I think it does writing all this down made me feel a whole lot better and more determined and I have been reading other people’s journey through Jo’s platforms you don’t realise how many people are on different cancer journeys
Big girl pants on and I am ready :hugs::hugs::hugs: xx
Take care xx

3 Likes

Hi preeti sorry to hear that fingers crossed for your next results it’s all so scary but think positive always it is difficult I know but you have come this far sending lots of positive energy please keep us informed of how things are going always hear for a chat take care and look after yourself :hugs:xxx

2 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing. Completely agree sharing is caring and it provides some confidence to women about to start treatment xxx

2 Likes

Hi Jeanette

Your journey thus far sounds the same as mine, same treatment and timescale and the same level. I was told treatment had to be quick within ,4 weeks and waited 10!! Then no notice wanted me in the next day. My smear came back fine, when it was not called in straight on HDU due to continued blood loss.

I’m in recovery now left with pins and needles in feet and hands and low backache, low abdomen ache.

I’m 62 in 2 weeks so grateful I’m here we can do this I promise, strong mind, positive thoughts really do give us the fire to push on.

We are identical in treatment etc but I’m through it in recovery. We can do this I
I promise. Xxx

2 Likes

Hi phinny thank you for your positive thoughts yes we can do this I have been away with family for new year and my hair has gone very thin and now coming out :pensive: but I am still feeling good 5th chemo round tomorrow and staying very positive I was thinking about my age at 65 wasn’t expecting this little gem to come into my life but it can jolly well go back into orbit lol but definitely :100: positive vibes take care xx

Blockquote

1 Like

Hi Jeanette it is unusual to get this at our age tbh. My hair very long I was dreading it !! Only lost 2 handfuls, mine went thinner but not a bad thing with me a
s it was so thick… I was in shock tbh only symptom was when I had a massive,xve bleed in March. Positive thinking only, I’m here always xx

2 Likes

Hi there. This was me 6 years ago. I’m glad to say that a few months later they had zapped the tumour and lymph nodes so they went. Waiting to be signed off. Good luck. You will be ok x

2 Likes

Hi there Jeanette 272.
Your story is very simalar to mine,same treatment,but mine had gone to lymph nodes and lung mets,so that made me what they said between stage 3 and 4 and they said they would aim to cure,but weren’t very hopefull.I’ve now been clear for 18months. I’ve had the most excellent team,from my consultant oncologist to the tea lady,they are amazing people.
Sounds like you got lots of support and love. The main thing is to be positive,it is a long hard slog,but you can do it
With much love xxxx

6 Likes

Embrace the baldness,it not as bad as you might think,although might be a bit chilly this time of year,as it was for me ha ha xxx

2 Likes

Think it lays very dormant for up to 20 years I was very lucky that my friend was nagging me I think someone was looking after me that day because of how thinks happened very rare for me to have a day off in the week if I hadn’t of gone it maybe a total different story still a little shocked it all coming to light I had no bleeding or any changes and still haven’t :pensive:
I don’t know what to about my hair yet it has just gone very fine all of sudden lol
Lovely to chat with someone else who is on this journey thank you :blush: keep us updated and lots of positive vibes always xx

1 Like

Thank you :blush:

1 Like

It was so strange yesterday when the rain landed on my head very weird sensation lol🤗

1 Like

That’s good to hear 6 years fingers crossed you have very positive result take care xx

1 Like

Thank you :blush: for everyone’s love & support :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Sending love and well wishes too you . You’ve got this :heart:

1 Like

Thank you :hugs::hugs::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Hi everyone just updating I have just finished my 6 weeks of chemo woop woop :hugs: and still feeling really good I have braved the shave as my hair was looking quite thin and orange tinge lol so booked appointment with a fabulous hairdresser called John and he was amazing I have now purchased two hair pieces and am feeling very confident :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
I purchased a wig online from china didn’t really think that actually your head has to be measured and I thought I was average head size nooooooo I have actually got a pea head :joy:
So did embrace it went for lunch and while eating my meal it started slipping of my head it’s a good job we can laugh about things like this sense of humour is a definite must on this journey :hugs::+1:
So my next step Monday for week 1 is full day of chemo for 8hrs then radiotherapy for 1hr I think this is going to be my rough day maybe so taking time out on Tuesday for myself then I have another 4 days of radiotherapy this week
My planning of my next 6 weeks with all teams involved is going well :slightly_smiling_face:
I didn’t realise that there would be so many teams involved and planning is essential to it all flowing
Don’t think you realise how the NHS is amazing until you are in need of any kind of treatment
So I hope everyone is ok and still being positive sending lots of :heart: to all of you xx

5 Likes

Yayy for finishing the six weeks ! We are probably going to be on the same time line now . I start chemo radiation on the 22nd. Although I am sure my chemo is only 3 and a half hours?

I also have the GI Jane look atm :rofl:, I’ve found that I love wee benni hats with hair attached at the bottom, they are cheap and I know they aren’t going anywhere, not sure what I will do in the summer :see_no_evil: xx

3 Likes