Lletz

Hey girls,

I had my smear beginning of June - Come back as low grade abnormal dyskaryosis.

Booked for a colposcopy 7th July. Ended up having 3 biopsies which didn't hurt at all just felt abit weird although I was anxious as ever!

Recieved my results Saturday just gone to say I actually had CIN2 not CIN1. I'm now booked to have a lletz on the 25th August! I'm absolutely petrified! Has anyone had local anaesthetic without the adrenaline in? I rang up hospital today to see if I could have local anaesthetic without the adrenaline in as I suffer from an anxiety disorder and heard it can make your heart race and was nervous to be having local anaesthetic with adrenaline!

hi little sal!

The local anaesthetic contains adrenaline for the reason that it constructs the blood vessels in that area which means that you experience significantly reduced, if any, blood loss during the procedure (sorry if TMI) 

It often does make your heart race for about 30 seconds but its soon settled down, and the nurses help you to be calm and breathe through it 

I asked my GP for medication to calm me down prior to my lletz and was given a small dose of benzodiazepine to take 90min prior to the appointment, which helped me enormously.

Look at my username, I was terrified, but afterwards found that it was not nearly as awful as I had thought it would be. And its over and done with very quickly 

All the best xXx

Hello ?

Thank-you for messaging back. I spoke to the hospital and they said you don't have to have the adrenaline if you suffer with anxiety so they've written it on my notes so hopefully I will have it without and I'll feel ok. Just the unknown that's horrible lol xx

Hello Little Sal! laughing

I had my LLETZ last Friday! A little bit of background story; I suffer from general chronic anxiety, so I absolutely feel your pain! Also, I had the procedure done in the private sector, I'm not originally from the UK, so I don't know the difference between NHS service and the private sector, but I thought it was worth mentioning it. Also, I was CIN 3.

My doctor offered me to do the procedure under general anesthesia or local anesthesia and I choose the latter. Like yourself, it did think the biopsies hurt at all and I was more frightened by the idea of going under general anesthesia. I asked for advice from friends in the medical field and they suggested to do the procedure under local anesthesia considering the length (around 10 minutes procedure total) and the remission your body goes through when you get put to sleep. 

I was absolutely frightened but wanted the procedure to be done so I could move on with my life. On the day of the procedure, I took clonazepam (for which I have a prescription) to calm my nerves and I took two paracetamol. I asked if I could listen to my music during the procedure which they accepted ;) I did a playlist of motivation songs. 

Honestly, a lot more fear than actual pain. The procedure from the time I sat on the chair to the time I got up lasted 3 songs (tongue-out) Everybody was super chill, we were literally having a girl chat. I waited 10 minutes after the procedure to make sure I was alright and then got back into a cab and went home. 

After the procedure, I went straight to sleep because my nerves could not take it anymore haha but other than that, I had no bleeding so far and I have not taken any paracetamol to control the pain. 

In insight, the worse part was the anxiety and the fear by far. Feel free to message me in private if you want to talk more about it. :) 

Hey Anxiety Queen,

Thank you so much for your reply. It's given me some hope ? Did you have the local anaesthetic with the adrenaline or without? I'm going to try and go without any calming medication as it's hard to get into DR's at the moment for it.

Xx

To my knowledge without adrenaline, I don't believe it was even offer to me :s