LLETZ treatment, follow up treatment and fertility

I have been trying for a baby for just over a year and am now 35. In January I was referred for fertility testing and luckily my results have all come back as normal and no obvious issues with falling pregnant so my partner has now been referred to do his bit. In February as part of a regular smear I received an abnormal result, I was referred for a colposcopy and potential LLETZ treatment, when I turned up before they even looked at my cervix they knew straight away I needed the LLETZ so why they didn’t say that and manage my expectations in the first place I do not know. I had the LLETZ treatment in March. I have this week received my results back and they have said that there are no obvious signs of cervical cancer which is encouraging but have been referred back for a consultation to discuss further management and potentially have more LLETZ treatment. My letters are very misleading and contradictory. although I expect them to do more of the same treatment I have been referred to the pre assessment clinic and after doing research online it appears this is an assessment prior to surgery but it doesn’t say what surgery. I assume possible cone biopsy. My letters have not been clear throughout on what I should expect to happen and when I call it’s also not clear, my GP has told me it’s nothing to worry about in one breath and then in the next that I need to hurry up and conceive as “time is ticking” those were the exact words! Obviously I have had to stop trying to allow time post treatment. I am just really concerned about my chances of falling pregnant depleting due to treatment and also my age as this would be my first child. Has anyone been through anything similar and could offer some advice or reassurance? Thank you

Hello,

I’m so sorry for all the stress and worry you have been experiencing. From reading between the lines, it sounds like the LLETZ treatment found CGIN and you did not get clear margins, meaning some abnormal cells were left behind. They therefore want to do another treatment to make sure they get all of it and hopefully cure the issue. CGIN is located higher up in the cervical canal so a cone biopsy is a more reliable method of removing all the cells. In some cases, where CGIN keeps coming back or cancer is found, a hysterectomy is offered, but this is usually once a family has been completed. Alternatively, in this worst case scenario, some people who had cervical cancer are able to opt for a trachelectomy and go on to have babies.

I do not believe the LLETZ treatment and a cone biopsy will prevent you from having children but you will need a few months to recover from this surgery. As you have been trying for a baby for over a year, once you have healed and this is over you could consider fertility treatments to help you get pregnant quicker?

Thanks for coming back to me. I spoke to the hospital this morning just to get some clarification. It’s CIN3 that I definitely have and the last LLETZ sample taken was all CIN3 with no area of the circumference of the sample clear of it. I’ve been referred back on the 26th May to 100% have more LLETZ to be further tested to ensure it’s all been removed. If not I’ll be referred for a cone biopsy. I’ve been advised to go back on contraception and cease from trying to conceive for the forseeable future. I just do not like the wording of their letters, I would have felt so much better is the correspondence would have been clear on what the plan is for me. For the 26th may rather than saying I’ve been referred for a pre assessment and may have LLETZ, why say that when they know for definite I am having LLETZ that day so I can prepare and bring someone with me as I reacted badly to the anaesthetic last time and can prepare for the recovery time afterwards. It’s just hugely frustrating when you are worried anyway. Thank you for your guidance though

Hi Amy, that’s really good news that it’s just CIN 3 and you just need another LLETZ for now. Hopefully that should get the remaining cells and resolve the issue!

2 Likes