LLETZ during Pregnancy

Hello, I’m 20 weeks pregnant and have been told today that I have severe CIN 3 and need urgent treatment. The doctors have told me they cannot wait to start the LLETZ  treatment (removal of part of cervix/cells) until baby is born. I’ll be put under general anaesthetic which from googling will be safe for baby BUT they cannot tell me the risk of this procedure for my baby because they don’t normally carry this out when pregnant usually. Google doesn’t have any information as it all mentions having treatment before being pregnant or in first trimester. 

I’m really really scared and looking for some help if anyone has been in this position or similar? I really just want to know the risk to my baby 

X

Hi Pippa, 

I'm sorry you're having to go through this. I'd recommend ringing Jo's helpline and/or your colposcopy clinic. 

Us on the forum are not medically trained and generally only have our own experiences to go by. 

I would hope that for them to suggest you need this prior to your baby being born, that thry have themselves decided that risk to you and your baby is minimal. 

Please do come back and let us know how you got on with talking to an expert. You never know, someone in a similar position could read this in a few months time and your experience could really help them too. 

I'm truly sorry I can't be of more help x

Hi Lemon Lavender,

thank you for your message, they now think it possibly could have developed into cervical cancer so are talking about delivering me early to do LLETZ but are doing biopsies under GA next week. Will update afterward once the results come back but of course praying it's CIN3 and nothing else. 

Hopeful and feeling positive that me and baby will be just fine! 

thanks again

pip

x

Gosh what a tough time for you. Sending you so much love x