LLETZ After a year of putting off my smear test

Hi guys,

I’ve been invited for an LLETZ after a year of putting off my smear test after having my baby in Aug 2020.

My report noted high grade changes which has really shook me up. I’m very emotional at the moment as I keep thinking the worst and I’m kicking myself as to why I left it so long, I have been diagnosed with HPV and borderline changes before so should have taken it all more seriously.

I suppose what I wanted to know was, can they determine cancerous cells in a smear or does it take a LLETZ to determine the results?

TIA

Chloe x

A smear test will identify pre-cancerous cells and cells that could become cancer; it is not a diagnostic test for cancer itself. A colposcopy and the biopsy are designed for that. If you’ve got high grade changes you will need a LLETZ alongside the colposcopy in order to remove them. The tissue will be biopsied and they will be able to tell whether or not there is actually cancer present.

Fingers crossed, Chloe - if it’s there it’s there, so nothing you can do at this point in time - but you’ll be in good hands. X

2 Likes