LEEP Procedure and LEEP Cone Procedure after having a Colposcopy done

Hi there,

Im new to this site. I am 31 yrs old soon to be 32 in a month and I am going through a lot of fear with this whole process as I'm sure most of you are or have had...

I had an abnormal pap end of August and in September I was sent for a Culposcopy Procedure. I am a really sensitive bleeder even with paps in my cervix, reason unknown.. The Colposcopy came back as HSIL and the Gyno told me it came back at the highest point of the scale for pre cancer cells..

I now have to go for a LEEP Procedure in 2 weeks along with a LEEP Cone Biopsy Procedure.. I am so scared as I am not sure what to expect. Usually you are put under but my doctor and the gyno have reservations about doing that as last year I had surgery to remove a cyst and received small blood clots in both my lungs from intubation their assuming.. Because blood clots run in my family as well as I had previous had some they dont want to put me under. They would rather do just freezing and I be awake for the procedure. I cannot even fathom being awake for it let alone I have experienced trauma in the past and the Colposcopy was horrible for me to be awake through..

I bled alot all over the hospital floor and chair just from the Colposcopy.. So the gyno is concerned that with the LEEP Cone Biopsy Procedure if I bleed immensely, then I might have to have blood transfusions.. And if i develop blood clots from intubation and am bleeding too much they wouldnt want to administer blood thinners.

I know that these are all worst case scenarios..

I had to give a little history before I ask my questions seeking advice..

Does the LEEP Cone Procedure hurt bad as well as the LEEP Procedure?

What was recovery like for you?

Are the biopsies graded just like the Colposcopy?

Has anyone had the LEEP Cone Biopsies come back high grade and have to have further testing? If so what were your experiences?

Freezing doesnt work alot for me even at the dentist and i have nervous system sensitivity problems so im just wondering how things were for each of you?

any advice or support would be wonderful

thank you for your time,

Amy

Hello,

I've had two cone biopsies and thankfully was under GA. For me the worst bit is always the worry and waiting to go in and I hate the whole process of having the anaesthetic. I personally didn't have too much pain or bleeding afterwards and it pretty much takes around 6 weeks to heal. It's never a pleasant experience because of where they are operating but it wasn't as bad as I imagined either. We all respond so differently but if you can find a way to stay as calm or distract yourself it certainly helps. 

I think the theory is if they can remove the abnormal cells with the minimum amount of surgery they can hopefully prevent it spreading or getting worse.

I was unlucky in that I hadn't had a smear for a long time so I had a large area to treat and it had already developed to CIN 3. I also tested for one of the nasty HPV strains of the virus which my body seems unable to get rid of. So there are many different factors involved and hopefully you'll be lucky enough that this treatment will clear it for you.

L

thank you so much for your reply!

my surgery for the procedures is the 9th so on thurs!

im super nervous and stressed, im trying my best to calm down.

unfortunately my procedure isnt until the afternoon at 2pm. so not being able to eat or drink will suck too.

how long was it til you got to go home after waking up from anesthetic?

were you okay sitting in the car after? the hospital is an hour away from my home as i live in a small town.

Amy

Hello,

I think I was only in overnight both times and basically they want to check you can wee and eat something (obvs not at the same time). Again it's the stress and worry but the second time round, knowing what to expect actually made it easier and I recovered more quickly.

If I remember right i was in a little discomfort for a few days and some light bleeding for the first week. For me it wasn't much worse than a heavy period.

I was back within work in a few days and they advise 6 weeks before you go swimming or have sex. This is good advice to avoid infection.

I hope it goes ok for you x

i Am new here as well. I had colpo with 2 biopsies october 6. Both came back cin3 and i had LEEP done today. this forum has been a great resource for me to know what to expect for my procedure. i hope your surgery went well today and know that you aren’t alone- that i went though it today as well. Hopefully we will both have great results And speedy recoveries!