Multiple Biopsies possible LEEP

Hey Girls,

New to this forum. I have many questions. A little background on me and my health.

I am 23 years old. I started having a lot of lower abdominal pelvic area pain and bleeding in between periods around 4 1/2 years ago. I went to a Gyno and asked for a pap which took a lot of convincing since they didn't want to do it because I was not 21. After my first pap it came back abnormal. Gyno asked me to come back for a Colpo. during he saw multiple leisons and took three biopsies. All came back CIN3 borderline 4. He suggested cryotherapy Because I was too young and we wanted to be conservative. 6mos after cryo I went back for pap. Which later came back abnormal, again. After another Colpo and more biopsies. We did another cryo. I moved away and found a new Gyno. She's very very conservative. I have been going back every 6mos to monitor we skip paps and go straight to Colposcopy. ive had the same lesions there since the 2 cryos. ive got severe dysplasia at 9&12 o'clock (moderate/severe) and went back two weeks ago and now I have some on 3&6 o'clock as well. Biopsy says it's mild/moderate. I've been very ambivalent on whether or not to get a second opinion. She has been conservative because she knows I want to start a family soon. I have been with my bf for 5 1/2 yrs and we plan on marrying and starting a family. She told me to go ahead and schedule for 6 months and get another biopsy. I don't know what to do. This has been going on for 4 1/2 years. I feel pain from time to time. Sex is painful, and it seems like this isn't going away it's just "spreading". I'm very confused on what to do. I'm afraid of the LEEP/ cone biopsy because I know my leision is quite large and don't want to have issues with maintaining a pregnancy or even trouble getting pregnant. I hope someone out there has had a similar story to mine and help guide me. I'm not sure if it's time for me to find a new physician or second opinion. Any help will be very very helpful

Thanks in advanced!

Have had abnormal paps for 4 1/2 years

Have had close to 8 colposcopy all w/ multiple biopsies

2 cryo's done 

Hi there,

I'm really sorry to hear what you've been through, what a worry for you. As someone who's been having abnormal results myself for 5 years I have some understanding of what you're going through.

Am I right in thinking you're not in the UK? I don't know if cryo treatment is used here anymore, it tends to be LLETZ (which is another term for LEEP). LLETZ/LEEP is successful first time in about 95% of women. This can be done about 3 times I believe, and if a lady has it they can put a stitch in the cervix during pregnancy if necessary to help counterbalance any weakness.I don't know if tissue is removed with cryo treatment, but with LLETZ/LEEP the abnormal area would be removed. Here in the UK moderate and severe CIN (cell changes) are treated because it's very unlikely that this will get better by itself. I would personally be very worried if I had moderate/severe changes that were just being left.

The information leaflet they give here when have you an abnormal result suggests it's not a good idea to get pregnant until the abnormalities have been dealth with, but obviously this is personal and something for you to discuss with your doctor/partner. Have they ever tested you for HPV? This is associated with cervical abnormalities. 

I feel for you, not an easy time. Maybe worth having some more conversations with your doctor, or even seeking the opnion of someone else?

All the best to you.

Thank you for the quick response.

i am located in the states. Cryo freezes cells and then they die and fall of so it is like shedding the too later off. My dr has told me to hold off the LEEP to conserve for future pregnancies but at this point I'm am more worried about what it what turn in to if it's not sorted out now.

thanks again

Thank you for the quick response.

i am located in the states. Cryo freezes cells and then they die and fall of so it is like shedding the too later off. My dr has told me to hold off the LEEP to conserve for future pregnancies but at this point I'm am more worried about what it what turn in to if it's not sorted out now.

I was never told that I Have HPV. 

thanks again

Hi ARod99

I had my LLETZ done a couple of days ago, I am in the UK. The doctor there explained to me that the LLETZ meant my chance of preterm labour would increase by up to 1%, as they were taking a large area (2cm) which is about half the cervix.

To me, 1% does not seem that big a concern compared to the concern of leaving it and I think your doctor is being VERY conservative.

Remember you are entitled to know all the options and risks, and make your own decisions about your body. Tell the doctor you do not feel happy with the current management plan, and ask them to go through all alternatives with you and to properly explain the associated risks.

MAs soon as my doctor told me that with CIN3/CGIN there is up to a 50% chance of developing cancer in the next few years, and the LLETZ only causes a 1% chance of early labour and a small risk of post operative infections, it was a no brainer to me.

You could do your own research online also, and take that if you think there is a certain route you'd like to take and need something to back you up.

Good lucj