Is this normal?

Hello all

I'll try to keep it short!

Perimenopausal (47 years old), last year I occasionally didnt have periods for a 1-3 months.
Symptoms; new bleeding (pink watery) after sex 
Overdue smear (by 10 months) due to moving/divorce... during smear nurse finds a 'growth' on cervix. 

I nearly fainted when she told me, and then she said its probably a polyp, but she's not sure. She referred me. Smear caused bleeding for 2 days. Didn't worry.

Bleeding continued after sex, and then sometimes with 'non penetrative' sex, which really alarmed me, as there's nothing up there 'disturbing' or poking?.

Went back to nurse, she did another pelvic exam, said to wait for referral appointment. The pelvic exam caused 5 days of bleeding. Started to worry.

I am now experiencing brown stringy discharge. Not related to sex, and is there most days (not all).
It doesnt smell (I know, grim!).

My appointment came through... flipping end June? Tried to have it moved forward, they couldnt due to covid. Smear results negative, though I am seeing other posts on this forum that smears don't always pick abnormalities up :(

Desperately trying not to worry, but I am dreading going for a pee now, as I know the brown stuff will be there. Brown discharge is new symptom (since Jan), progressively getting worse. Ugh. What is it? What could it be? Since its not related to sex, surely its not normal?

Its infereing with my sleep now, feel sick just thinking about it, and doctors don't seem interested :( x

Hi

Sorry you're having these worrying symptoms.

I'm in the UK.  When I went to the doc about my abnormal discharge I was tested for infection; the results came back negative whereupon I was referred for a routine trans-vaginal scan and subsequently a routine hysteroscopy.   Before I had the hysteroscopy  I started to get vaginal bleeding and was then referred urgently (appt within 2 weeks) to see a gynaecologist; I would add that up until this point I'd had no previous history of gynaecological problems and also the GP surgery was unable to do a smear test on me as I couldn't tolerate a speculum.

So, abnormal discharge alone needs investigation but is not, in my experience, considered to warrant urgent referral.  However I think abnormal bleeding often does warrant urgent investigation, although it's often due to relatively benign conditions such as fibroids or cervical erosion.  If you continue to be worried maybe try contacting a different doctor for a second opinion.

x

Dear Jazza
Thank you for your reply. I have tried to stay off computer for a couple of weeks, as i was spiralling down in depression. I took your advice. Went to see anpther doctor.
Ugh. She examined me... she said she 'what I saw wasn't a classical polyp shape, so I will expedite your appointment'....
I asked her what she saw but she evaded the question, then waffled a bit.

I tried to clarify what she saw, and she back-tracked saying it was very red, and I had an elongated cervix (?). I asked againif she had seen the polyp (whilst I was under examination she struggled to find it but then said 'oh that might be it' whilst probbing about!)
She then said 'maybe its retracted, or gone back into uterus'.... then said, when I go for colposcopy they will dye and test cells?

She then proceeded to say 'I don't want to give you false reasurrance'... when I started asking more questions, she said she really needed to get on, and that best to wait for colposcopy.

I am SO confused, AND scared now. 

I have seen what you have been through... you are amazing, and I hope you are doing well xx