Information about HPV persistence

Hi everyone, I will start this by saying I am not a scientist. this is the opinion/information finding of someone who is not a professional but I wanted to share some information I found about HPV persistence when you receive a positive result with no abnormal cells
Moderators please delete this if this sort of discussion is not allowed.

I found this study:

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/291341045_Human_Papillomavirus_Assays_and_Cytology_in_Primary_Cervical_Screening_of_Women_Aged_30_Years_and_Above

It uses screening information from a pilot done in Denmark, which likely has similar HPV rates to the UK and is focused on women 30+ who are likely to be the most worried group about clearing HPV.

In the study they tested different types of HPV tests. Most of the tests are DNA tests. These can pick up both temporary and persistent infections. The Aptima test is an RNA test. This is more likely to detect persistent infections.

I’m going to focus on Aptima for this post as these results are the ones for infections most likely to persist.

Table 3 in the study has the data but basically:
200 women were Aptima positive but with normal cytology at baseline
After 1.5 years they asked them to come back
65 did, 33% of the 200 originals

Of those 65, the table states that 24 had a persistent infection (33%) that means about 2/3rds of women were able to surpress their infection, reducing their risk of abnormal cells.

So ladies, there is hope! Stay positive!
If you want to, investigate supplements. Practice mindfulness if you can, discuss how you feel with all the wonderful people on this forum :slight_smile:

Hey. i have 2 year HPV+ no abnormal cells
Do you?
Which supplements / vitamins will you be taking?
Xx

Hi Rere
I’ll send you a private message about testing if that’s okay?
As for supplements my most consistent ones have been my multivitamin, b12, EGCG. These are everyday. I have also folate and indole-3-carbinol. But not everyday, every other day.
I used to take AHCC but now take Turkey Tail instead
I have also been using Papilocare suppository x

I have tested hpv for 2 + plus years and went for colscopy and they took a biospy. And its been a few days and i have already received another appointmebt in the post for another coloscopy for next year. This surprised me because i thought that i hadnt even got my results back yet is it normal to get another colscopy a year later . I did have treatment leetz over 10 years ago now had cin3 .

Hi Clinny
I’ve never been for a colposcopy myself but it sounds like if you’ve been scheduled for a check up in a years time without any further action this year that you may have no cell changes or very mild ones and they just want to keep an eye on you
Perhaps in the new year you could take a picture of your letter and contact the Jo’s Trust team via email and they might be able to help decipher it
Have a good christmas x

1 Like

Just wanted to add another study
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/30355760/

This study was comparing different screening techniques but I am going to focus on the information about clearing of HPV. The study featured women aged 30-60 and had follow-ups

606 women tested positive on one or both kinds of HPV test (DNA and MRNA) but only 411 attended some form of follow up

Not all the information is available to see how many women lost MRNA positivity between their visits.
However in the study it says “of the 408 women with at least one follow up visit with adequate HC2 (DNA) and Aptima (MRNA) results, 77.2% were negative on both tests at their final visit”

For most women these second visits occurred within 1-2 years of their baseline positive test, but some continued follow up for longer but this was a small number.

There were 32 cases of CIN2 or worse in this time, so the number of lost positivity cases is not related to treatment (eg they became negative after having treatment)

I think this is really encouraging that long term persistent HPV CAN test negative. I hope this helps someone :heart:

2 Likes

Reading this back I wasn’t clear and it’s too late to edit it but the part where I say

The first sentence I meant to say there is no information on how many women tested MRNA positive to begin with

The good thing is 77.2% tested negative on BOTH tests after the follow up! That’s the important info to take away ladies!

1 Like