Incredibly painful smear, caused blood. Worried!

Hi, I had my first smear today privately - I’m 22 and have had lower back, hip and pelvis pain for months, as well as pain during sex and feeling like I need to pee all the time. (Have previously had a lot of blood tests, internal pelvic exam, cystitis tests, and testing for infections, including thrush/chlamydia/gonorrhea, all of which came back clear.) Then the last couple weeks I’ve had left side pain and left abdominal pain, it feels swollen and tender and I sometimes get stabbing/throbbing pains there. I thought it was probably a cyst but my GP says she would’ve felt it during the pelvic exam.

Today I had the smear and it was absolutely excruciating (I’ve had the speculum put in for internal exams in the past, once about a year ago when it was just uncomfortable, then a month ago when it was painful but not this bad) and when the doctor took the speculum out it had blood on it. Since then I’ve had what feels like serious period cramps and my back/pelvic pain has been much worse all day. If I didn’t have the other symptoms I wouldn’t be as worried as apparently the blood and cramping isn’t too unusual, but all of it combined makes me think the symptoms I’ve experienced are due to my something in my cervix.

However, I’ve only been sexually active for three years, and apparently cervical cancer takes at least that long to develop and usually much longer, so that makes me feel a little better.

I’m not really sure what I’m asking for here, I’m just worried and I guess I would like some support and to know if anyone else has had/is going through a similar experience. Thanks xxx

Hi,

Sorry you're going through all that and worrying. I know that pain and a little bleeding after an internal exam are not uncommon, so I wouldn't be too worried about that. I would ensure you speak to your doctor about your pre-existing symptoms, however, and keep pushing them to keep looking for answers until you find one. Lots of things can cause abdominal or back pain (including plentythings that are transient and aren't serious at all) but it's not pleasant for you, and you deserve an answer. Hope you feel better soon.

I have all of your symptoms also, I am awaiting on a laparoscopy to check for endometriosis which causes a lot if not all the issues you mentioned. I've also got a lot of scar tissue I think due to a cyst and ectopic pg removal many years ago.

The smear is very uncomfortable for me also, I have to use the smallest speculum and even then it is very painful. It could also be vulvodynia which is a condition which causes pain in the genital and pelvic area.  

Don't panic!