I feel so let down

Hi Everyone

This is my first post on here. I have history of pre-cancerous cells in 2011 which were removed at a colposcopy appointment. Since then my smears have been attended and have been normal.

I had been experiencing bloody discharge after intercourse for a while so I went to my GP. She was really great and had a look, took some swabs for an early smear and to check for infection. Her face said a thousand words though and she admitted to me that she wasn't happy with how my cervix looked. She compared it to a large strawberry which did bleed when she touched it.

Within 3 days my results were back - all normal! She still wasn't happy given the way it looked, bled and my history so she still sent off for an urgent 2 Week referral with a Gynocologist. On the referral my GP has written 'suspected cervical cancer'.

My appointment came through for the 08th May. (4 Weeks after I was referred.) I have been building myself up for it and thinking about things every day.

I have been having bleeding still after intercourse and now have a mid-cycle bleed which I have never had. The blood isn't normal either, it's a dark brown and lumpy (sorry if TMI) it doesn't smell though which is positive. I have had cramps on one side and my lower abdomen feels swollen.

Yesterday I had a call from the Hospital to tell me they had downgraded my referral and were now going to move my appointment to the 03rd June!!

I just broke down on the phone, I told them how worried I've been and now this pro-longs things by another Month! That will be 2 Months since a 2 Week referral was put in.

I feel so let down by the NHS. I don't feel like they care (apart from my GP) and I have no reason for the Gyno downgrading my referral! I'm guessing it's because my smear came back normal but I have heard stories of people still having CC with a normal smear.

Has anyone else had these symptoms? or a normal smear but then had bad news? I'm trying to stay positive but now that I have to wait another Month I'm really struggling.

This isn't good enough.

You are absolutely right, a clear smear does NOT guarantee there is no cancer if there are symptoms. It is nevertheless highly unlikely that it is cancer as there are many much more common reasons for these symptoms. However, until excluded it remains a possibility. Adenocarcinoma is often missed on smear tests.

Did your GP volunteer for the two-week referral or did you demand it yourself? If it is something she thought necessary they would be foolish to ignore it. If you threw a tantrum it would be different.

If she did think it necessary, I would ring her, tell her what has happened and ask for a referral to another centre.

Good luck, it's really horrible waiting.

Karen 

Thank you for your reply. 

The GP referred me when she got the clear results as she still wasn't happy with my history, the symptoms and the way my cervix looked and bled when she touched it. I didn't ask to get referred. 

I'm still getting the same symptoms and trying not to think about it as it feels like such a long wait and I feel let down by our health service. 

Did anyone else feel swollen in their lower abdomen? This is something I've had for a few weeks now but more noticeable lately. 

Grateful for any advice.