Hysterectomy or chemo/radiation?

I know usually for 1a or 1b they decide to do a hysterectomy. Can you choose to have chemo/radiation instead? 

Is chemo/radiation just as effective as hysterectomy?

Both treatments arw equally effective,  however do not underestimate the impact of chemorads. Here in the Netherlands radiotherapy is called surgery without cutting. It is by no means " the easier road"

If I were given the choice between the two I would have opted for surgery without the blink of an eye.  Even though I am terrified of beeing put under anesthesia.

I had the chance to get a second opinion , surgery was ruled out due to me beeing stage 2b , but I was absolutely petrified of getting chemotherapy. There is a third treatment option here wich is hyperthermy ( heating the tumour) in combination with radio therapy. 

I was willing to choose the treatment without chemo, i was that scared. The doctor told me that chemoradiation and brachytherapy is the golden standard treatment. It is highly succesful. He then proceeded to tell me that the treatment I wanted was really good too, BUT my chances of beeing cured would be less.

That was an eyeopener right away. Get the treatment you need, and not the treatment you prefer out of fear. If you can have a radical hysterectomy and be cured, do it!!! 

If they advise chemorads instead, take it. Get a second opinion if possible but please do not make a decision based on fear. You can do this. The surgery. The chemorads.  Both if that is what it takes. You can do it!

Hi

I had 1b, they recommended radical hysteractomy.

My cons said I could go for radiation but he doesn't recommend due to the long term side effects.

I have done my research and I opted for surgery, I have kids and don't want more. 

I am now 6 weeks post surgery, no evidence of disease and follow up in 3 months.

As mentioned above if you are not sure maybe get second opinion or do a wee bit of research with pros and cons of both. 

Take care and all the best! 

Hey lovely,

the advantage of surgery first is you can have chemorads if you need to worst case scenario, if you have chemorads first the chances are if you have a recurrence the surgery will be much more extreme than a simple hysterectomy due to the effects of radiation damage.

Both are very effective in treatment but obviously their are pros and cons to both, if you get a choice only you can make it.

much love xx 

I got a second cancer caused by the radiation following years of tricky side effects. A hysterectomy is definitely your best option if that choice is open to you.

Karen x