hysterectomy offered

follow up appointment following lletz today, been told the cancer cells found in biopsy were stage 1a1 but lletz has removed all and the precancerous cells that were present #huge sigh of relief# consultant has booked me in for a follow up smear in 6months but has told me if I wish he will perform a hysterectomy to lower the risk of reoccurrence. I have 4 children (youngest born in may) so I have no worries that I will not have anymore children. i'm just worried about the staying in hospital and thereafter with 4 children to care for. I have the support available I'm just worried about being out of action for so long. I'm constantly on the go and not sure I can cope with taking it easy! has anyone else had a hysterectomy? was your recovery time quick? I want to reduce that risk but am scared I think although so relieved todays news wasn't worse

Hi I had a hysterectomy on 7th of December. The 1st week was pretty tough didn't move about a lot and had a lot of pain in my shoulders. After that I was fine. I'm 30 so don't know if my recovery was quicker because of my age or I was just lucky. You can't lift anything heavier than 2lt of milk for 1st few weeks so you wouldn't be able to carry your children around for 1st few weeks. 

If I were in your position and with you no longer wanting children I would probably go for the hysterectomy. For the peace of mind. It is of course your choice and only you can n make that decision.

Hi

I too had 1a1 and did not choose a hysterectomy. My reason for this was that I wanted to avoid surgery and the chance of 1a1 returning was extremely rare i.e. Less than 1%. In the unlikely event that it does come back I would then choose it but I'm hoping not to be in that position! Best wishes for the future whatever you decide xx

I am having a hysterectomy on 25th jan.

they found high grade CGIN changes, not cancer but precancerous cells. All removed with LLETZ x2. 

The consultant said that the hysterectomy will ensure no more risk. No more worry. He also said with the glandular changes they are very difficult to pick up on smear and with my scarred cervix from Lletz the screening wouldn't pick up early changes.

i have two children and feel very lucky to have them.

im scarred about the surgery but I think I was more scarred having the MRI and waiting for results! 

think he recovery will be tough, I'm not going to be alone with the children for 4 weeks, mine are 4 and 8 months. Dreading not being able to pick up and care for my baby but it will give me the greatest chance of seeing them grow up.

Wishing you lots of luck xxxx

i'm only 32 myself and in relatively good health and active so am hoping that that will be a positive in the recovery time.

i am seriously considering it and the pros far outweigh the cons for me at the moment. i suffer with bad anxiety and the last few weeks waiting for results have been awful, for me and my children. i know that the prospect of surgery etc is going to set off my anxiety again but i would rather that and it be done with giving me that peace of mind then to go through this again.

thank you for responding and am glad you've had a good recovery

i don't like the idea of surgery myself but would rather not go through the anxiety of this happening again. i have 4 beautiful children and am done in that respect. it's just a big decision isn't it. thank you and good luck to you. fingers crossed we all have good health from here on in x

i think the not being able to pick my 8month old up is going to be the hardest part, he's such a mummys boy!

the anxiety i've had going through all these tests, procedures and waiting have taken its toll and i think i/m more swayed to having the hysterectomy to save myself from that alone. i'm very lucky to have my 4 children and know that i am 100% done having children so think it will be easier to go through the operation.

good luck with yours. wishing you a speedy recovery so you can hold and hug your babies x

Hi all

I was confirmed with grade 1b in December 16 after having a lletz treatment under general in November 16. Although the doctors were fairly confident they had removed the cancerous cells there was a chance of there still being residue. I had an MRI scan which showed the cancer hadn't spread especially into my lymph nodes. However we decided to ensure i was clear it was best for me to have a radical hysterectomy which I had 4 days ago.I stayed in for 2 days and now at home resting. I have had to come home with a catheter which I will have for about a week as they had to reposition my bladder, that is a bit of a pain and restricting but I am up walking about and resting in between. But apart from that I feel little sore and uncomfortable, my emotions are up and down but that's to be expected! They will test what they removed to really make sure I am clear..If there is even a slight sign of cancer then I will have further treatment but fingers crossed this isn't the case!  Yes recovery is going to be slow as it is a major operation, you will definitely need support at home as you aren't going to be able to do all the normal things us mums just undertake naturally! My husband has taken time off work to look after me and  my daughter is 8 so able to help around the house and help me. 

I wish you all well for those of you recovering but also those of you who are having to make the hardest decision you will probably ever have to make.....I made my decision on what was best for me and my family to ensure I was here to enjoy life and watch my daughter grow.

Xxx

I was diagnosed 1b on the 2nd Novemeber had a radical hysterectomy on the 15th december. Now a month on I feel great to be honest the worst bit was having the catheter in for 12 days. Its so awkward and annoying! Soon as that was out I just did a little bit more each day as I didnt want to just sit there and get used to doing nothing. By the 3rd week I was doing most house hold chores apart form the hoovering and today is my first day back at work,I cant wait!

ALthough it was a big op im surprised how quickly I have recovered being fit before hand I do think has an advantage. Im definately glad I have had it done now,no more stress of it coming back.

Keep well everyone

Sorry to hear what you've been going through. Glad you're doing well though. I called and told the hospital on 9th Jan that I wish to go ahead. I feel it's best for me and my family this way for the future. I've had a call today and have been booked in for my op on 25th Feb so was extremely quick. I have pre assessment on 6th Feb. Am jut a bit shocked at how quick the whole process from the smear to this has been. Overwhelming and a lot to process in such a short time but am glad to be getting it over and done with sooner rather then later. 

Hoping your next news is good news and that recovery continues well for you. Thank you for responding xx

Glad to hear you're doing so well. The thought of the catheter has had me worried more then anything else I think but obviously part and parcel. My operation is booked for 5weeks time so I have some time to organise everyone at home and those that are there to offer their support. I hate the idea of sitting around like a spare part so hopefully my recovery will go just as smoothly. Thank you for sharing and wishing good health from here on in xx

Hi Kelzm I had 1b2 and it came back. I think you've made the right decision. My catheter was out in 5 days and I'd had a radical hyster. Yours will be a smaller op. Good luck with it. Jayne

I have advancdd cancer and I haven't been offered the option of a hysterectomy but I would jump at the chance at having one - I no long have periods and i am having menopausal symptoms - I'm 29, no kids not of the human kind :-) and I truelly beleive your making the best decision  - not only for you - I have sever anxiety as well - but for your children. They will pick up that something is wrong or learn at a later date that you have been unwell and it will be a huge releif and benefit to them that none of you have the worry of the cancer spreading or being uncontrollable.

my nieces are 11 and 7 and I've sheltered them as much as I could from my diagnosis but my eldest niece found out quickly that I had cancer and now she clings to me - she's been around my house every day this week and is staying on Saturday she wants to spend as much time with me as possible - don't get me wrong I love her and she's like my daughter but I'm sick of seeing her hahaha! I like my peace lol.....and my youngest niece up until recently told me I'd become poorly because someone at work had passed it on to me - bless. She then told me about 2 months ago when we were walking back from the park that she knew I had cancer and she told me that it had all gone - I felt bad for agreeing because although my cancer is only traces I will never have that benefit of saying I'm cancer free.....I have accepted this but the heart break it brings when I have to lie to her about when I go the hospital - I tell her I'm staying with my fiend because my dog goes and stays at my sister when I'm away. So well done for making the most difficult decision.....you will thank the doctors once your recovered and so will your children and being able to see them grow up will be your reward xx

So sorry you're going through this! Kids are so intuitive, more so then we give them credit for but they are so matter of fact and resilient. My 12year old daughter knows what's happening and although a little upset, understands that what I'm doing is the best thing. She's been so helpful with her little brothers just lately and I'm so proud of her. I've stressed the importance to her of smear tests for when she's old enough but haven't gone into detail of everything thats happening. I'm now booked in for 25th Feb and had my pre op assessment Monday so all going to plan so far. Laparoscopic is the route we are aiming for to enhance a quicker recovery but I know it's the best chance for my children to have their mum around, healthy and well. There's still a sense of loss despite knowing I'm done having babies but I suppose those feelings are par for the course really. I hope, despite the state of your cancer you progress well. Don't let it dampen your spirit and although the peace is preferred, lol, keep those nieces close! A bond between girls and their aunts is an amazing thing. Good luck Hun and thank you for replying xx