HPV positive no abnormal cells

Hi everyone,

I'm up late googling incessantly after my smear test that I had done yesterday and I'm hoping someone can snap me out of it! 

In December 2019 I had a smear test with an HPV positive result but no abnormal cells found, and was invited for another test in 12 months. As far as I can understand, if the HPV result showed up positive, I have one of the high risk types? The letter said that your body usually clears the infection and to come back in 12 months to make sure your body has fought it off. 

The very next day upon receiving those results I quit smoking - Jan 4th 2020 and haven't had a cigarette since. I've started taking vitamins and I've done couch to 5k, I'm now doing bridge to 10k to give myself more of a challenge. I have really tried as much as possible to make my body healthy to fight this thing. 

fast forward to yesterday for my follow up smear and I was so super nervous. The smear itself was ok and the nurse seemed quite dismissive about my previous HPV positive result, which in a way calmed me down a bit, but I'm sitting here googling different types of HPV and cell changes and I can't stop. I just feel like it's judgement day - that all this work I've put in all year will either have worked, or it hasn't. 

I just wondered from your experiences whether anyone has cleared an HPV infection. Has anyone quit smoking to get a negative result, and if so how long did it take? Has anyone taking specific vitamins to get rid of it?

thank you so much

xxx

Hello. 

Had a colposcopy today and smear test. I might still be positive for HPV. And have few of types, with one of them being the one which leads to cc in 70%

2 years in low grade dyscaryosis, won’t be surprised if this smear comes back the same. Although colposcopy is clear.

Im amazed by your determination. Well done for quiting smoking. Stay strong and don’t google. You need good sleep nights and less stress. 

Someone wrote here that it took her 6 years to build her immune system to fight it off. 

Your hard work will pay it off ?

Hey,

I dont have the answers to your questions but i just wanted to say im doing the exact same thing as you. I was diagnoised HPV positive no abnormal cells 2 months ago and am due my check up smear in october 2021.

I have also quit smoking, started running and been eating healthy and its made me more comfertable with having HPV and now im know its ok to have it. Ive also been so much more confident with my body because of all the excersize and healthy eating, i also feel so much better for not smoking i cant belive how much HPV has actually changed my life in a positive way.

I think its important to just carry on what your doing wahtever the result. Your not alone dont let HPV change who you are!

I hope this makes your more comfertable with whatever happens.

All the best xx

Hi

So not exactly answering your question but I'm always trying to get people to see HPV testing as a positive thing.  It does seem to cause a lot of anxiety but the great thing about HPV screening is that it ultimately means your chances of developing an invasive cervical cancer are much lower than in the days before HPV screening because it enables the health service to monitor at risk women more closely and to administer more timely preventative treatments.

Take my example: I've never known my HPV status and for various misguided reasons felt it was OK for me to stop attending for smear tests age 50y.  Sadly I was diagnosed with an invasive stage 2 cervical cancer age 60y (see my back story).  Had I known I was HPV positive I'm sure it would have motivated me to carry on getting checked; then most likely I'd have been able to have some fairly straightforward treatment and not end up with all the life long debilitating side effects of the big surgery + chemo-radiotherapy treatment I've been through.

Hope all goes well for you.

x

Top tip: don't google about this - it'll misguide, confuse and play to your worst fears - better to work on that 10K

Hey Brett, 

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate it. Isn't it crazy that something so shocking to find out actually helps in the end. I feel so much better in so many ways for quitting smoking and starting exercising, but I just hope that it's paid off and that it's helped my body to get rid of it. I really hope I wasn't too late in getting the kick up the arse I needed to quit smoking! I have started spotting in between period and getting very short 2-3 week cycles. I'm hoping this is because I've recently switched from Noriday to Norgeston due to mood changes, and nothing related to the HPV, but my mind is going a bit bonkers with the thought! I guess so many of us can relate to that,  waiting for the smear results to come through the post. 

im so glad you are feeling better from all your efforts to be healthier too. 

wishing you all the luck with your next test! 

x

Hi Jazza

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply, I really really appreciate it. I'm sorry to read about your diagnosis too but I hope you are closer to being on the mend? 

You're so right about how much anxiety HPV causes and actually it's a really positive thing that they are testing for it, which I completely understand. I guess it's my fault for being completely under-educated about the new smear test process before my test last time. Before I got my results I was just expecting abnormal or normal cells as a result, that was it. When i originally saw HPV I also misread it to read HIV and nearly fainted...! But yes I think becausd I didn't realise the testing system had changed I suspect it took longer to sink in because I didn't really understand what I was reading. But I completely agree with you - much better to know what you have that needs closer attention. 

thank you so much for taking the time to post and I hope you are getting better. 

I will definitely concentrate on the 10k! 

thanks so much 

xxx 

I have recently just been diagnosed with HPV at my first smear it's really frightened me. Me and my partner are wanting to try for baby number 2 and I'm so worried this can affect my chances of falling pregnant anyone else have any experience with this 

Hi there, 

I have recently just been given the same result high risk HPV and no changes to the cells. 
I am worried sick, I can't stop googling things which I know is wrong. I'm so scared to have to wait a year to go back and find out that the HPV is still there or it's changed into something more. I need to try and stop reading the internet but it's so hard not to when you have no one to speak to. 

I hope everything goes well for you x

Hi 

bettb1987 

i’m new diagnosed with HPV positive my anxiety level so high when i see the letter which said My report is HPV positive , they said they looked for abnormal cervical cells in my sample but they did not find any this means you are currently at low rist of cervical cancer they do next screening after 12 months I’m so worried and anxious any suggestions 

I'm 61 never heard off hpv positive googled all day so if I've read it properly I caught this from somebody I was in relationship for 34 yrs didn't have sex for last 25 plus years so can't be him got it from just ended a relationship which lasted 3 yrs so did I get it from him there are no other men only them 2 and it says your immune system takes 1/2 years for it to go I'm totally confused ?‍♀️ 

Hi,

I found out i was high risk HPV and no abnormal cells, and have immediately quit smoking and bought vitamins. Just wondering if this worked for you?

x