HPV positive but no cell changes

I had a smear test 6 weeks ago, the results came through yesterday to say I had tested positive but no abnormal cells. I have been bleeding after sex at first it started with spotting but now it's gone to more like a light bleed, last maybe 2-3 days. Can smear tests miss abnormal cells? I have to go for a pelvic ultrasound in a couple of weeks, will this pick up anything if there is anything? A year feels like a long time to wait till my next smear test. Sorry for the questions I tried to call my doctor but cant speak to her until at least Monday. Thank you.

Hi Kirsty Louise,

I think you're doing the right thing by calling your GP and telling them about the bleeding. They might be able to refer you on and best to get checked rather than as you say, waiting and worrying for a year.  I'm not sure about smear tests missing abnormal cells and not sure what the ultrasound would pick up so sorry can't be of more help.

Best wishes xx

I had a smear on the 29th March, just got the results back and I have a positive HPV result.    I have always attended screening and up to this recent result they have always been clear.   This has really thrown me and scared me - I have tried to speak to my GPs, but that is another story (my surgery has massively gone downhill and you just cannot get to speak to anyone).   I am told that I will be called for screening again in a year, but this seems a long time if there is a risk of developing cancer.  I am also alarmed at the HPV result as  I have not had any form of intimate interaction with anyone for over two years!!  So how could this have happened.

I am feeling very worried about all of this.....

I am so worried - I have just received my screening results and I have a positive HPV result.   I have always had screening and they have always come back clear in the past.   I am being called for screening again in a year but this seems like a long time to wait?   I am also alarmed at where I got the HPV as I have not had an intimate relationship with anyone for over 2.5 years.    I need someone to talk to about this - my GP has massively gone downhil in the last year or so and trying to get to speak to someone there is almost impossible.

Very worried and anxious about what all of this means......

I've been with my partner for 10 years but I was told it can lay dormant for a long time before it comes to light. My go is the same I can't talk to them either there's always some reason why you can't. Keep trying your GP though, I'm sure when you do get to speak to someone they will be able to give you some advice xx

LisaGV,

Have you tried ringing the helpline here? They are great to help talk through things.

Xx

I've just recently tested positive for HPV but with no cell changes, and to say I'm freaking out is an understatement. I've always tested negative in my previous smear tests and been with my husband for 12 years, does this mean it has lay dormant for 12+ years? Either from him or a past partner? 
my question is, if it has lay dormant for that long has it been changing my cells for that long or does it only start to change your cells when you are positive? I've read so many conflicting statements online I'm going out my mind and can't wait another year to find out if it's caused anything. 

Hi al 

I am new to this to I have also been told I have hpv but no abnormal cells I'm freaking out so much I can't continue to think normal it's a shock more Then anything I have been with the same person for 6 years we are very happy and want to have a family but is that even possible now?? my first smear 3 year ago was normal so I thought great 3 years later wasn't expecting anything then I get the results and cried.. any positive news every come out of having hpv do people really clear it ? I just can't cope 

xx