HPV positive and Abnormal cells

Hi everybody. New to Jos trust, and this is my first post.
I had my second smear test last Tuesday. On the Thursday my GP called me and told me I was HPV positive and that I had high grade abnormal changes.

I am normally a calm, relaxed person who is happy to take things as they come but with this I’m very on edge.
I’ve had irregular bleeding for months now and more recently accompanied with mild to moderate period pain, and I think it’s this that has made me upset about the situation. I requested a smear test last year because of my symptoms but was declined. I know feel angry about this.
I know that there is only a 1% of it being cancer and like I say I’m generally pretty rational but I can’t shake the feeling something is wrong. I have my hospital appt book for next Tuesday and it can’t come quick enough.
What I don’t understand is if it’s not cancer, what has caused the problem? And infection?
Also if I have HPV then my husband probably does too so are we just going to keep passing it back and forth?
Has anyone had the symptoms I’ve had with the smear results I’ve got? And if so what was the outcome for you?
Thanks for reading x

Hi there

I can't answer regarding whether the other symptoms could be related to high grade changes, as I was low/moderate changes. You will be sent for a colposcopy now, which will mean someone who does this kind of thing all day having a really good look at your cervix. They should be able to tell you more.

Hopefully I can set you mind at rest about the HPV though. I had LLETZ treatment back in August last year and have just had my 6 month follow up smear. The results were all normal and no HPV present. I have read that the LLETZ treatment seems to somehow kickstart your immune system into fighting off the HPV. Now, I can assure you that Mr Moggsy and I have not been celibate for the last 6 months, so that would tend to suggest that it doesnt just get passed to and fro!!

Good luck x x