Hoping it doesn’t come to having a hysterectomy...

Life can be challenging at times. I’ve had my 2nd Lletz in 4 weeks on Tuesday. It was bearable (just) only because i was still healing from the first one. 

Ive now been told that I have high grade CGIN and cin3 and they are checking for skip lesions (They were suspicious whether the first lot had c in it)  Apparently I only have 2cm of cervix left...fortunately my family is complete. If this comes back positive then they would like to do a hysterectomy. This is a blow as I’m only 34.

I do believe life only throws at you what you can handle...but god a break would be nice and some good news before Christmas Would be the best present of all!

sorry for the rant, getting it off your chest does help.

Take Care all of you lovely ladies xx

Hello,

I have an appointment coming up to discuss a hysterectomy as the hospital have said my colposcopy is unsatisfactory i.e. they can't get to the cells that they really need to check.  I don't really want one to be honest but I will have to seriously consider whatever they recommend so I know how you feel.  Hope you have a lovely Christmas x

Hello,

Wishing you all the best with your appointment. It’s so rubbish isn’t it. They don’t make these decisions lightly so I guess it’s in our best interest.

Hope you have a lovely Christmas too xx

I had a hysterectomy in October for CGIN so if you have any questions, let me know 

Hi kirstshan,

Thank you for your response. 

I see that you too have had 2 lletz - I was wondering why they decided that a hysterectomy was the best option? I had my second lletz last Tuesday (I had 2 within 4 weeks) for hugh grade cgin and cin 3. 

I understand that there Are different types of surgery would you mind me asking what you had and how was your recovery etc?

thanks so much.

emma xx

Hello,

i was also faced with the same decision aged 40 after several previous treatments.

It's a lot to take in and worth asking about your different options in terms of keeping your ovaries or not.

For me I'm glad I had it done and the fear of it was worse in some ways than the actual operation itself. Likewise I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.

L

Hi,

Just doing my usual browse of Jo’s at silly o’clock in the morning and came across your post! 

I had a radical hysterectomy 4 weeks ago and I’m only 32 with no children yet :-( did keep my ovaries though so hopefully me and my partner will be able to have our own children through surrogacy in the future!

I think the sound of a hysterectomy at your age is much worse than it actually is. The benefits of being young is obviously your body should be able to handle the operation and recovery better. I know what you mean though, it was a massive blow to me too at my age but I thought I have to give myself the best chance in life! I am different though as I was diagnosed with stage 1 cc and I saw a hysterectomy as a positive as I could try and avoid radiotherapy and still give myself and my partner an opportunity to have our own children in the future. 

I have learnt in recent years whatever life throws at you, you have to find the positives as that’s what will get you through to the other side even though the journey may be rough!

Just think you have your children already, your age should help with recovery, it is a massive help if you have somebody around to help as you’ll not be able to do much...but 6 weeks down the line and you’ll be nearly back to normal, not have to deal with periods anymore :-) and most of all the worry of future diagnosis will gradually get less and less :-)

Hope everything goes ok for you and feel free to ask me any questions :-)

Hi

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. I had the hysterectomy because after 2 LLETZ procedures I hardly had any cervix left. The Dr said the risk of cutting my bladder was too high in doing another LLETZ as the remaining cervix was right at the top. (Ironically they cut it during surgery, but that's another story). I had also completed my family so that was another factor.

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy keeping my ovaries. This was because i have had 2 c sections and there would be too much scar tissue to go in keyhole. Recovery has been hard for me as I had a lot of complications. Internal bleeding, blood transfusion, bladder and ureter damage  (all been fixed). This is not the norm!!! Dispite all this, I have had a cancer free pathology report and am positive I made the right choice. Good luck with whatever you choose to do. Feel free to pm me if you have other questions.