Hoping for some reassurance

Hello,
I am hoping to share my story thus far and look for any advice or if any one has gone through anything similar. I am from Canada, so I know some of the processes may be different, but I have a feeling some will be able to relate to being sort of fluffed off by doctors due to being ‘too young’. I have been going through various symptoms for around two years, that have started to become more concerning as time goes on. I have had post-coital bleeding almost every time I have sex, not to mention the pain that comes along with sex, that is extremely uncomfortable. I have also had intermittent lower pelvic pain, not necessarily cramping but more of a stabbing/throbbing type of pain for about a year now. I also have very heavy abnormal discharge, that is sometimes streaked with blood as well (sorry for TMI- just trying to be as detailed as possible). I went to two doctors last year, both of which did not perform a pelvic exam and just tried switching my birth control pill, as they thought it was hormonal (neither of the switches worked). I am assuming they dismissed me because I am only 21. I got myself a new GP, and she performed a PAP immediately. During the pap (which was extremely painful) she mentioned that my cervix appeared very inflamed and ‘friable’ and there was heavy bleeding during the exam (I was not menstruating). She suspected I had an infection of some sort, due to the inflammation and strange discharge, but all my infection swabs came back negative. I then waited a long 4 weeks for my PAP results, and had heavy bleeding following the pap for about 3 weeks. Well a very long story short, the results came back abnormal, she mentioned it was moderate dysplasia and that she would normally just monitor it and repeat the PAP but that she thinks I should have a colposcopy due to the fact that I am having these symptoms. Since I’ve seen her, the symptoms have worsened, I am having constant pains and bleeding down there, and feel as though I am asleep 3/4 of the day.

Originally my doctor told me the wait for a colposcopy would be pretty long (1-2 months) but I got a call a few days later that my doctor had put a rush on it and my appointment is now in two weeks. This did add to my worry that something may be wrong, but I do know its a very good thing that action is being taken.

Anyways… sorry for the book I wrote above, but am just looking for some insight into these issues, and if I should just wait it out as the doctor said and be patient waiting for the colposcopy.

Thank you for any help!

Sorry to see that you've been having these symptoms and I'm also sorry that you appear to have been fobbed off by earlier GPs. Well done for being assertive and changing GP and it looks like she's now taking it seriously and helping you along with investigations, which is great. 

From my experience, the waiting and not knowing is the worst bit. Even after my LLETZ treatment for CIN3, I'm still worried that they haven't got it all, and just want to see the biopsy results now.  I think it's normal for us all to worry.

i think the best thing you can do is hang on in there for the colposcopy. Focus on the fact that they will now get to the bottom of it for you, and whatever they find, they'll be able to treat, usually pretty quickly.

In the meantime, be kind to yourself and try to distract yourself as much as possible with self-care. Simple things like getting out for a walk in nature, or enjoying a chocolate bar now and again can really help! And remember to tell yourself "this too shall pass". 

Sending loads of love for a speedy investigation, treatment, and recovery from your discomfort. Xxxxxxx

Thank you fionajane, for the reassuring and heart-felt response.

I had my colposcopy this morning, and the experience was unfavourable. The nurse I saw initially went over my PAP results, and said that because I am so young I shouldn't even be having the colposcopy, and that she was "almost 100% sure" they wouldn't need a biopsy and that I should wait for it to heal on its own. I found that so ridiculous, I told her I've been having these symptoms and all she did was smirk and keep typing away on the computer. 

Anyway, the doctor came in with a similar attitude thinking she wouldn't see anything concerning. She ended up seeing something and taking a biopsy which hurt much more than I thought it would. She said I should make an app with my GP to get her to refer me to a gynaecologist to keep on top of things before I get my results back. Is that concerning? or should I just wait it out for the results now? She didn't provide me with any information at all of what she suspected it was and just walked out the room and that was it!

Thank you fionajane, for the reassuring and heart-felt response.

I had my colposcopy this morning, and the experience was unfavourable. The nurse I saw initially went over my PAP results, and said that because I am so young I shouldn't even be having the colposcopy, and that she was "almost 100% sure" they wouldn't need a biopsy and that I should wait for it to heal on its own. I found that so ridiculous, I told her I've been having these symptoms and all she did was smirk and keep typing away on the computer. 

Anyway, the doctor came in with a similar attitude thinking she wouldn't see anything concerning. She ended up seeing something and taking a biopsy which hurt much more than I thought it would. She said I should make an app with my GP to get her to refer me to a gynaecologist to keep on top of things before I get my results back. Is that concerning? or should I just wait it out for the results now? She didn't provide me with any information at all of what she suspected it was and just walked out the room and that was it!