High risk HPV/abnormal cells

***LONG POST***

Sorry in advance...

I need reassuring or possibly speaking to someone who has been through something similar.

I'll try and keep it short.

In March 2020 I received a abnormal smear test result and was told to retest in 3 months. Obviously due to Covid no tests was being done. I finally got one booked in January, unfortunately there was a mix up and the test couldn't be done. Had another done in February and they lost the test. 

I had to have another one done last month. I got the results.

It says:

High-risk HPV. Your results showed this was found.

Checked cells in cervix and changes were seen.

I'm waiting to hear back for a date for a colposcopy. Has anyone had any experience or similar results to this?

I've had changes in my period since November 2020, also have been feeling anemic since then too... I do have Pernicious Anemia (get B12 every 8 weeks). I mentioned my change in periods to my Dr beforehand and they weren't concerned. I think I'm more concerned as we lost our grandmother in September 2020 to cancer.

Hi, I've just had my results which said high risk hpv and low grade dyskaryosis and I know how worrying it is. My colposcopy appointment is in early May and I must have read every article on mild cell changes and hpv but it doesn't ease the worry even though it will probably at worst be a case of having the abnormal cells removed.

Hi Zandiana, 

My results showed high risk HPV and moderate cell changes. I recieved my letter for colposcopy before I got my smear results.  I was called into colposcopy within 2 weeks and told I would need to have lletz , they took 2 biopsies.  Biopsie results came back as Cin1  and Cin2. I had lletz under GA in the hospital 3 weeks ago. I also get vit b and vit d injections.  My grandad passed away from cancer 4 years ago and both my parents are deceased.  I'm 35. Still healing from the surgery. All I can say is you are not alone. It is an extremely worrying thing for any woman to go through. The waiting times seem to vary depending on where you live, Covid certainly has not helped. I am still waiting on the results from the lletz biopsie.  I found the ladies on this forum to be a great help for reassurance and a form of support.  I'm sorry you are having to go through this. It is very stressful and scary x

I got the exact same wording in my letter last week. I am 30, and have been having abnormal smears for 2 years now, I have only ever had one clear one when I was 25. This will be my third colposcopy when I get my appointment so it's never a shock when I get the results as I've been having smears every 6 months to a year also.

All I can say it's, it's scary when you receive a letter like that and you think all sorts but it's really nothing to worry about. Everytime I have been the colposcopy isn't as bad as you think especially if you have more than one! And mine have been very minor changes that have rectified themselves it's just the HPV virus they need to keep in check. It's good you are waiting for an appointment as if it was anything worse they would have you in sooner, I spoke to my nurse who confirmed again this time it was only minor changes so you may be best speaking to your nurse who did your smear for more information and to put your mind at rest.

It's reassuring that they are looking after you, but trust me you have a few years of it and you don't even give it another thought!