High grade dyskaryosis, many years since last smear.

Hi all, I am new to this forum and have been reading through many of the earlier threads.
I have received a result of high grade dyskaryosis and am going for a colposcopy on Wednesday. I know from reading around that this doesn’t necessarily mean I have cancer but I’m terrified because I stupidly have put off my smear for years (15). Feel so stupid now and like I’ve brought this on myself. Too embarrassed to tell friends and family that it’s been so long so can’t discuss my fears in detail with them. Everything I’ve read says that cancer takes 10-15 years to develop so of course I’m panicking that I’ve had these changes all this time and that it might be too late for me now.
I’m hoping someone on here might have also left it a really long time between smears but things turned out well.
I’ve had other symptoms too that I put down to other things that I now fear indicate the worst (stomach pain, back ache, tiredness, weight loss).
I have 2 children under 3 and keep bursting in to tears imagining them having to grow up without me.
Thank you for reading this far x

First of all I think its brilliant that you finally went and had a smear! I'm in the same sitiation in that I waited almost 11 years to go back to have another one. I also got the same results as you, but I'm a bit further on in that I've already been for a colposcopy. When I received the results letter of my smear I assumed the absolute worst given how long I had waited, but when I went in for the colposcopy the Dr said she was surprised at how mild/small the area looked given it was graded as severe from the smear test. I was still in such a state though that they actually brought a consultant in to reconfirm what I had been told, they said they would take all the cells away there and then if I would prefer, but they recommended I just have a punch biopsy as I was due to go on holiday. On returning from my holiday the results were waiting for me and the biopsy showed CIN 2, so I went back in about 2 and a half weeks ago to have LLETZ. The consultant said that she wasn't worried about anything she saw, although I will be honest in that I am still so anxious about the results. BUT given how long I had waited I expected them to instantly say that I had cancer and could see something sinister without even testing! In addition I dont have kids so it had been almost 11 years since I've had any kind of examination down there! So I really was convinced that just by looking they would tell me it was bad news. I know I havent had my results back yet but I really do hope its given you a little reassurance, as like you that initial letter made me assume the absolute worst given how long I had waited, and so far the results I've had have been so much better than expected  xx

Hello,

I'm so glad i read this today, i've been the same and not been for a smear in 12 years and am fearing the worst. I have my colposcopy appointment on Tuesday 27th which im dreading however reading your storis has put my mind at rest a little.

I hope everything is ok for you both xx

Thank you for your reply. I'm glad that things are not as bad as you feared and I hope your results are clear.

To be honest I'm finding the guilt over not going earlier to be as difficult to deal with as the fear of what they might find.

I hope we both get good news soon x

Good luck for Tuesday. 

Fingers crossed we both get reassuring news x

Hi Anne

I went 10 years ignoring my smear reminder letters. 

I was suffering from pelvic pains all month, extremely painful ovulation, bleeding after sex, heavy periods and backache to name a few! So went and eventually got my smear.

It came back as severe dyskaryosis and was referred for a colposcopy. 

During the colp the nasty cells were seen and removed by lletz there and then.

After a long horrible wait my results were CIN3 with clear margins. 

Hope you get good news too 

Roxy x 

thanks Anne, hope your ok. I've just received a call from the hospital telling me my appointment is cancelled as they doctor has gone off sick and i could be waiting upto another 2 weeks for an appointment, I don't know if i can cope another 2 weeks with out knowing, this past 10 days has been agony for me. :-( xx

Thank you for your response Roxy.

I'm so glad to hear that things had a good outcome for you  I went for my colposcopy this morning and the nurse told me it was only a small area of my cervix that was affected and it didn't look cancerous. I had the lletz done there and then so now I just have the nervous wait for my results x