HELP!!! Worried about having a smear for the first time HELP!!!

Hi, I’m 24 years old and have never had a smear, when I had my very first letter, about 3-4 years ago, my mum booked an appointment for me straight away and didn’t even ask if I was ok with it, I was very scared as had no idea what was going on and when I went to the appointment the nurse knew without even asking that I was very uncomfortable and put me at ease straight away by saying she’d ask me a few questions first, the first being if I was sexually active, my reply no and her reply was that I didn’t need one until I became sexually active. Breathing a sigh of relief, I left with my mum knowing that I was back in control of my privacy. About 3-4 years past and I’ve now received a letter a few times from my doctors to have a smear test, the most recent one included a form for me to sign if I wanted to be removed from a list. I know and understand the importance of a smear but I was never told about them in school and so was never prepared for exposure. I’ve been hiding the letters from my mum so I’m not forced to go down there again like the last time, especially as I’ve been told that they can use smaller equipment if your still not sexually active (which I’m still not).
I’m a very private person and don’t like the idea of exposing my most sensitive part to a complete stranger that I didn’t chose or expect, I always thought I’d be in full control of who saw my body and just that one special man would see that side of me. I’m also a bit embarrassed of that area as since I started puberty Ive been getting spots on my inner legs and I’m worried that the nurse would think I’m unhygienic and then refer me to the doctor, whom I’d have to then expose myself to and then maybe they’d think I’m unhygienic too, as I’ve always had them I just thought it was normal for me as they haven’t caused me any problems and they’re just like the spots you have on your face. Also I have a fear of going into doctors/hospitals and don’t like being centre of attention, there has even been times where my mum has taken me into the doctors and I’ve burst into tears just because I’ve been so scared of being there. I’ve tried asking my mum about them but she just says it doesn’t hurt and is just an uncomfortable feeling as well as telling me when I get my letter she’s going to make me book an appointment straight away, the sooner the better and she even made me witness her having her most recent smear test.
I’m really scared that either a letter will come and my mum will know what it’s for from the envelope and too much time passing before I feel ready to have one as well as the whole procedure itself. HELP, I’m beyond petrified and have no clue what to do.

Hey petbex!

Welcome to the forum the ladies here are wonderful. I'm 36 and  I had NEVER had a smear. For exactly same reasons and I suffer from anxiety also. I know the thought is daunting and that all of a sudden that special place for that special someone is no longer special and that I would feel almost dirty afterwards. But it's important to stay on top of your health(hindsight is a wonderful thing)

I know I haven't said much and probably haven't helped you.

H

And I doubt that they would think you're unhygienic hun!

Remember to them this is a job (to us is something different) but that is what they do all day. You are the same as everyone else to them my darling 

Oh dear  a necessary evil it would seem the dreaded smear test.... but honestly it's not bad.  I understand your anxiety we've all been there the first time but it's such an important thing to go have done and we're so lucky to get the opportunity.  Your mum is being a great mum she wants you to see its nothing to be scared about and she right but when your petrified you can't see that. Why not book and speak to your nurse at the GP surgery first to help ease your mind on things. You have to remember it's just a job to them they see hundreds of Lady parts and they don't look they just want to get the job done n make sure you are OK. it's just like looking at your tonsils to them another body part to make sure is healthy.  You have to try be practical as best you can (easier said than done I know) try look at it as lesser if 2 evils it could be something to save your life. I'm sure everything will be perfectly fine but if you don't go get checked you'll just work yourself up thinking what if. I have learned over the past 12 months how important these  things are after going a month late to mine having never missed one and not going is just not an option . Unfortunately first myself I did have cancer and had to have major surgery so I've gone from the 1 nurse checking me every few years to the world and his wife have a good look down there n you see it really is to them like looking at a broken leg . I wont preach how its nothing n get it donevas its a big something to you but you'll go and think we'll I'm glad that's done bit why was I worried cos we've all done that . please book your appointment and just chat about your anxiety to a nurse before you go or your Dr they may be able to suggest something to help ease your mind and make the test much easier for you . I wish you luck and hope you get tested and are all healthy and  happy 

Erika