Help with HPV Men & Women

My GF just tested negative for 16 and 18 and positive for “high risk”. No question we have been monogamous. My previous relationship a year ago tested negative right before we broke up and we were together for 2yrs. I am wracked with guilt thinking I might have given this to her, however she had the surgery a couple of years ago (her ex-husband cheated) and she tested negative for two testing cycles since her surgery.

I am sleepless and she’s being beaten down with anxiety…Indont know what to do. If I gave it to her wouldn’t it be pos for 16 and 18 too? Please help…

Hello
and welcome to the forum. There are many people on here who have been through the shock and worry of an HPV diagnosis. At the moment there is no test for men and so many partners are experiencing your current feelings too. However, knowledge is power; apparently pretty much everyone gets HPV (80%.of the population men and women). This is why the vaccination is offered to people before they become sexually active as it is as common as the common cold and once you’ve got it most peoples’ immune system sends it into dormancy but it can reactivate when your immune system is weakened. There is no way of knowing who gave what to whom and it does not mean anyone has cheated. If you are in the UK I recommend phoning the helpline. Also read the information pages on HPV and you can also e-mail Ask the Expert for a more scientific explanation. You seem to be a very caring partner. Please encourage your girlfriend to seek support too. You are not alone either of you. Please do not allow this news to damage your relationship. I hope this helps.
Ax

1 Like