Partner positive HPV monogamous relationship

Hi all,

My partner has had her smear test results back and she's positive for HPV. We've been in a relationship for over 2 year now however this is the first time she's been positive for HPV. She's had a smear test every year for the last 5 years. Is there any explanation why this is the first time it has come up, I believe she's been faithful in our relationship and I know I have but she is now doubting me. Can someone help.

Many thanks for any answers

Hello Josh  the way cervical screening is done has now changed to HPV first testing.  This means that in the lab they test for HPV first and then if it is found they look for cell abnormalities. 80% of the population (men & women) have HPV but it can lie dormant for many years (in my case over 20 years) and if your immune system is weakened it can reappear. (A bit like when you have had chicken pox you can get shingles later on in life). So neither of you have any reason to suspect the other of cheating. Jo's helpline may be useful if you have more questions and the website also has a section on hpv.  Your gp may also be helpful. Try to support eachother in your relationship. You can fight this together.

I hope this makes sense

A