Going out of my mind with worry. Anyone been through similar?

Going out of my mind with worry.

I had my smear last week, (confession time I'm 11 years overdue, had a horrendous experience at my last one, no excuse and I'm thoroughly ashamed of myself) I've been getting a tiny amount of blood mid cycle normally around ovulation.

The nurse said I have a tiny amount of cervical erosion which bled when she touched it but the rest of my cervix looked healthy. I've also had a scan which shows ovaries, womb etc looks good. They looked at the cervix and said a couple of nabothian cysts which are apparently normal and they couldn't see anything abnormal.

I'm going out of my mind as I've convinced myself that it's likely my smear result will come back as cc. I have huge health anxiety and feel like I'm preparing myself for this result. I can't sleep or eat and also have no idea when the result will arrive. Scared of my phone ringing with a bad result or the letter.

I'm so worried that what if the nurse got it wrong and it's cc she saw not erosion and what if the sonographer was wrong and what she thought were cysts are in fact serious. I can't help but feel not having a test for so long will undoubtedly mean I now have cc.

I'm so sorry if this seems an inappropriate post i just don't know how to deal with the worry I have and would love anyone kind words and anyone that may have had anything I've mentioned. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this

Sarah x

Hi, 

Don't be ashamed. You made your way to have a smear and that's what is important. Stay calm. 

Thank you for replying Harvitt, I'm trying so hard to stay calm but can't get out of my head that because it's been so long since I had my last smear it's going to be bad results especially with my symptoms x

Hi Sarah

I had an attempted hysteroscopy under GA and when I came round I was told immediately I had cervical abnormalities which were very likely to be cancer which it was.  The medics are pretty good at knowing what they are looking at so no promises but it's in your favour that they haven't seen anything nasty on your cervix.  I'm not an expert but I believe that cervical erosion is also known as cervical ectropion which is not sinister and could explain your small amount of bleeding.  It seems to me that you have a heavy dose of guilt for delaying your smear test for so long. Try not to feel bad about this you are not alone - I stopped attending smear tests partly because of a bad experience.  The NHS is not great at offering support for those of us who struggle with smear tests which is where I feel the shame should be partly directed - long story.

x

Try to distract yourself and calm down. Nothing in what you describe makes me think you have cervical cancer. And to think it theough to the worst case scenario if you somehow did it would definitely be early stage and easily treatable. Don't let your mind get the best of you! Stay strong!

Hi Jazza

Thank you for replying, I'm sorry to hear what you've been through how are you now?

You are right I do have a massive amount of guilt and I just feel ashamed. I just can't see how the results will be clear with leaving the test for such a long time. Surely it must mean I have the worst case scenario. I have a little boy and I feel devastated as to what could be up ahead. I also have no one else to talk to about this which isn't helping and of course no idea how long reults will take at the moment. 

They seemed pretty sure it was erosion but looking it up on Google (I know a bad thing to do) I've seen it mistaken for that when it was cancer then I'm thinking it's probably erosion and then also cc behind that.

This is my biggest fear and something that has caused me so much stress and upset over the years. I do think I also have hormonal imbalance which won't be helping symptoms. 

It's hard to find info on what would be seen at a tranvaginal scan with having cc. 

Hope you're ok

Xx

Hey

Thanks for your reply. I'm trying so hard to calm down but in my head I'm preparing for the worst as I just feel that's what's to come. Leaving the test for so long must surely mean I have it. I've been working on the fact it could be stage 1b as the transvaginal didn't see anything and I would have hoped anything huge would have been seen. Plus giving birth a few months ago the consultant checked cervix etc (ended in vacuum in surgery) so i would have hoped he would have seen something then if advanced. 

I just feel so scared and have no one I can talk to about this. Really appreciate you taking the time to reply to me 

Hope you're doing ok?

Xx

Hi Sarah

Just to suggest that if you would like to talk to someone you could call the Jo's helpline.  They helped to calm me down and make sense of things when my fears were overwhelming me.

x