Given Choice of Conservative Management or LLETZ??

Hi, 

I'm 27 and had been waiting a while for results from a biopsy after abnormal cell changes were detected in my first ever smear test back in November 2020. I got a letter from the consultant firstly saying the biopsy showed the cell changes were somwhere between CIN 1 and CIN 2 and because of my age, previous good health and having not had children yet it is likely no treatment would be needed but my results would be discussed in a monthly meeting and I was to wait for the outcome of this discussion....

I have since recieved the outcome of this discussion and it states:

"we think it is suitable to discuss conservative management with the option of having a LLETZ treatment... if you wish to continue down the conservative route we will see you in 6 months for another colposcopy with potential biopsy. 

If you wish to go down the route of LLETZ treatment, you are welcome to make a sooner appointment" 

Does anyone have any adivce on if I should go for the treatment now, or wait for the smear/colposcopy in 6 months? I'm daunted by the treatment as it is, but is there a risk of further changes if I leave it until the next check up in 6 months? Or is it better to just do it now rather than later? I understand the logic of giving me the options and I'm sure if there was a big risk they wouldn't have given me the choice at all but I would rather the consultant have given me a reccomendation rather than a choice as now I'm just a little confused by it all...

Any help or advice at all, or similar experiences shared would be sooo good and make me feel much better :) Thanks very much!! 

Hi Ellssz,

So hard to make a decision! Can you make an appointment to discuss it with the consultant?

I guess as they are giving you a check up on six months there shouldn't be much change in that time. But equally might be better to nip it in the bud earlier as the treatment is very successful. I believe if it was definitely cin1 they would use watch and wait, and if it was definitely cin2 you would be offered treatment. But as you're in the middle you've got the option. I would definitely ring the clinic and ask if you can speak to someone about it.

Good luck, x

Also, have you tried ringing the helpline here? Might be good to talk it though with someone plus they can give you more information about both options.

I agree with the above comments. Talking this through with a professional will be really helpful.

I do know from my own research (as a non medical person) that studies revisiting historic studies have been shown that far too many women are subjected to LLETZ unnecessarily and so the focus now is as much as possible to not carry out LLETZ without first seeing if the body recovers on its own.

So this may be why you're being given the option, whereas in the past they might have just whipped you in. X

Hi Elissz

i think your age is a factor here. I think I may have similar level of cell changes but I am 55 and will not have any children obviously at my age. There is a small risk of complications with pregnancy which they are considering.

Thank you so much for your response x 

I am going to book a phone appointment with the consultant to talk about it further. 

Thanks again! 

xxx

Thank you so much for your response! That was so useful, I am going to call the clinic and get some further info but I do feel hugely better after these replies. 

Thanks again! xxx